rear end options

Started by wayne petty, August 24, 2007, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

ok more things out of my fertile mind.. must be all the fertilizer

rear ends...
one of the help your self junk yards on alameda st just north of manchester ave has got 5 or 6, 80' up jags just sitting there.  just a few parts removed... but i am thinking fords irs like out of a irs mustang cobra.  

a few thoughts on that though.   89 up Tbirds, mark VIII lincolns also use a simular setup.  i was reading about the later model conventional axle 8.8" rear ends with the 31 spline axles instead of the 28 spline units,  if one could swap the 31 spline diff into the 28 spline housing. the mustang unit bolts onto the factory leaf spring mounts which makes it interesting to me. and it has outboard brakes.  my family ended up with a bunch of rovers 2000 tc,sc, 3500s, ser 2a 109, ser 3 88 santana, so i am familiar with inboard brakes..........

the last thing i was wondering about was the corvette rear tranaxle.  looks like the new style TH- 6 bolt tailhousing is the same bolt pattern as the front of the transaxle. so by removing the extension one could have a transaxle set up for mid engine cars or rear engine streamliners.. if you used a manual tranaxle and bolted it to the back of 4L60 4L80 hmm...  that just does not sound right. but....

wayne  thinker of fertilizer

Crosley.In.AZ

wayne,

actually you can remove the corvette specific bell housing adapter on the main case of the 4L60e and bolt on a regular bell housing.  

Then you have a short setup with engine,  trans and rear axle assembly.

One item is this vette trans-axle setup has a pan fill / fluid level check system.  The case does not have a hole for a filler tube / dip stick.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)