EFI for a Small Block Chevy

Started by Learpilot, June 05, 2007, 10:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I would like to hear your experience with the buying and installing Electronic Fuel Injection on a Small Block Chevy. Which is the most bag for the buck. Where did you buy ? How was the after the sell service ? Any problems ?
Thanks in advance !!!
Rick Harris

Crosley.In.AZ

bought a 4 barrel style EFI unit from Howell engine development for the ZZ4 motor I had at the time... about 1998 or 1999

I was never happy with it. Stumbles under light throttle, fuel mileage was 1/2 mpg over the earlier  Carter carb on the motor. Power was OK at best compared to the carb.

Many calls placed to Howell ( not much assistance) .  I had a scanner on the system for 1 week watching data flow...

When I called to RETURN the system , suddenly I had their attention.  But it was too late , I was done with the system.  Got most of my money back after I complained and listed the times & dates of the calls I made to them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

BFS57

Hello;
First, if you have no experience with fuel injection, it has many ways to be used and a couple of different systems. My suggestion is to go to the internet and type in chevythunder.com. This site is all about fuel injection mostly tuned port style and how to adapt to a car that previously had no computerized fuel delivery system.
Another great site for information (and bling) is street and performance. They have lots of info, and videos available.
This subject requires you to get an education so that you don't make wrong decisions about what system you want to use, what system fits the motor and how it all connects together and operates!

Bruce

rumrumm

Go to www.chevytalk.com and go to their EFI/Fuel injection forum. For Chevy information, it is the best website out there. I am a regular on the Performance Forum. That and the RRT are must-reads everyday.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Learpilot

Quote from: "rumrumm"Go to www.chevytalk.com and go to their EFI/Fuel injection forum. For Chevy information, it is the best website out there. I am a regular on the Performance Forum. That and the RRT are must-reads everyday.
THANKS for the info.
Rick Harris

Bruce Dorsi

I installed an Edelbrock #3500 (?) Pro-Flo EFI on a 350 sbc, and was extremely satisfied with the unit.

After completing the installation, the engine wouldn't start.  .....I assumed it was something I did or didn't do, but it turned out to be a defective ignition module.  .....Edelbrock was very good about correcting the problem.  .....I'm sure it was an isolated incident.

For my needs, the Edelbrock unit was the best since it came with a "calibration module," so a laptop was not needed to make changes to the fuel & spark programs.  

With the Edelbrock unit, you must specify the cam you are using, so the appropriate computer chip is installed.  .....Edelbrock has done extensive development on this unit, and the base fuel & spark curves provided are very close to what you need. .......Although I made changes to the base map, they were very subtle changes.   ......If I make modifications to the engine (except for cam), I can change the fuel or spark curves myself, without buying a new computer chip.

At the time, the Edelbrock unit was much cheaper than most of the other aftermarket EFI systems.   .....It was more expensive than a used factory TPI system, but if the history of the TPI was unknown,  or the system incomplete, the additional costs would be much closer to the Edelbrock unit.

I've been very happy with mine, and would highly recommend it.  .....The system is COMPLETE, with everything you need including computer, manifold, 8 port injectors, throttle body, fuel pump, ignition components, wiring harness, hoses, fittings, etc.   .......

Check the Edelbrock website, if you think you're interested. ....There was lots of info there on their different systems.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Learpilot

I looked at the Edelbrock 3500. The only thing I did not like was the injectors are 29#. That seems big for a 350. I have installed a 3550 Edelbrock on my son 68 Camaro. We had a lot of problems. Edelbrock builds a Small block and a Big Block EFI. His engine is a 402 and the 3550 is set up for a 454. We could never get it to run lean enough until we bought smaller injectors at $400. I don't want to go down that road again.
I found  Affordable Fuel Injection in Michigan, www.affordable-fuel-injection.com. They are smaller than edelbrock and will burn a chip for your computer according to your cam spec.
The EFI comes with 24# injectors. That is close to what Gm puts in the TPI 350 Corvettes and Camaros which is 23#. The only thing is if you change the Cam you need to get them to burn another chip. I hope I have done the right thing. Time will tell.
Rick Harris

Woody2B

The TPI is plentiful now and averages around $200-$300 depending on condition.  Allow for any parts required to refurbish them such as injectors, sensors, etc.  A wire harness to use the old style computer goes around $350.  I've been looking at the Painless PERFECT system which includes the harness and the new computer used on the Ramjet motor, but dyno tune programmed for a stock TPI motor for about $1000 at Summit.

Dr Flowgood

I would recommend a stand alone efi controller like FAST makes rather than going with something that comes with a canned calibration  ( a pre programed chip) it is nearly impossible to nail the tune up with a mail order tune like they come with.  Get one that is user programmable and you will be much happier in the long run.  making that 350 run with 29 pound injectors would be easy, really a 29 pound injector is very conservative for a 350cu motor.

A stand alone system  could control any injectors and intake combo you wanted to go with.  The TPI intakes are good for low rpm torque but not so good above 5k.  an LT1 efi intake can be converted to work on a conventional sbc and works better at higher rpms.  it just depends on what you want to do with it. ANY intake can be converted to efi.

Id also recommend getting one with a wide band 02 sensor because it will really help you with the tunning process.  There are used FAST systems out there going fairly cheap if you look around and I could send you a tune up that would be fairly close and get you started.

You will love efi if its set up right.

Doug