Rack & pinion steering on a dropped axle ???

Started by Jbird, May 30, 2007, 02:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

I've been thinking again...... I remember reading somewhere about using a rack and pinion steering setup on a model A dropped front axle. Is this possible or am I dreaming again??           Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Deuce

Uni-Steer makes a kit for that very application. This is one on my 32 Ford chassis.

Go here for the on-line information from Uni-Steer.

http://www.unisteer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=UNISTEER&Product_Code=8000470-01&Category_Code=STEERINGKITS[/img]
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Jbird

Thanks Deuce, but I was thinking of using the rack unit in place of the cross steer rod. Actually mounting the rack to the axle so it moves with the suspension then connecting it to the steering wheel with u-joints and a variable length steering column shaft, to compensate for suspension movement. Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

river1

hey duece

how about some pics of your frame jig.
it looks like some thought was put into it for adjustability and repeatability.

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Dave

Ive seen it done with success and ive seen it done and you couldnt drive the car. The problem is the slip joint needed for axle movement. Id steer (no pun intended) away from the idea.
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

enjenjo

There are two problems with using a rack mounted to the axle. The first has been mentioned, the steering shaft has to have a slip joint, or be set up parallel to the control arms, four bar or the like, so it only has to bend, at a Ujoint, not get longer and shorter.

The second problem is the increase in unsprung weight. The rack, and the brackets, and 1/2 of the steering sgaft weight is added to the unsprung weight. This will make the ride rougher.

You could convert a Horizon rack to work like a unisteer, not a big deal, and mount it to the frame with a home made bracket.

I just did a Unisteer on a Plymouth. One of the complaints about a Unisteer is the increase in turning radius. I used a Jeep tie rod end on the right side, it's available from speedway, and hooked the drag link to that, it made a big difference in the turning radius.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

Buddy of mine had a T bucket with a rack mounted to the axle.  I had to drive it home one time from a show, and it was white knuckle time all the way.  Every bump would steer it from side to side.  Mounting it to the frame is even a bigger mistake.

The one Deuce is showing is the correct system to have R and P steering.  Even if you can get it to work, they don't look good sitting on the back of the axle, especially in a fenderless car.

Don

Okiedokie

There have been several I beam cars converted to rack and pinion here locally. I have personally driven two. A 32 highboy [owner is short on arm strength due to polio] and a 39 Ford coupe. Both drove extremely well. In fact the 39 is probably the sweetest driving rod I have driven, some of that is because of the meticulous construction by an old time craftsman. Certainly as well as my 46 with MII, or F100 with Volare. All used slip joints from collapsible steering columns and, I believe Chevy Cavalier racks. I know of at least two more 40 Fords and one 33 that have same set up with many miles. They are all driven hard and reliably.

Dave

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"There have been several I beam cars converted to rack and pinion here locally. I have personally driven two. A 32 highboy [owner is short on arm strength due to polio] and a 39 Ford coupe. Both drove extremely well. In fact the 39 is probably the sweetest driving rod I have driven, some of that is because of the meticulous construction by an old time craftsman. Certainly as well as my 46 with MII, or F100 with Volare. All used slip joints from collapsible steering columns and, I believe Chevy Cavalier racks. I know of at least two more 40 Fords and one 33 that have same set up with many miles. They are all driven hard and reliably.

Like i said ive seen em and they (by the owners discription) drove well . Yes it  can be made to work . Just look out if you do it wrong.
Dave :arrow: