Got Gopher?

Started by Anonymous, May 04, 2004, 05:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Let me start by saying I know this is a car board.  But last time this came up there seemed to be a lot of interest in it.  My gopher problem started about 5 years ago.  Before that I had a gopher now and then.  They came visited for awhile and left.  I had to drown one but it must have worked, he disappeared.  In 1999 we had a really dry year and I had a leaking swimming pool.  The gophers must have liked the wetter ground around my pool and decided to stay.  Every year since they have gotten worse.  Last Summer at one time I counted 55 little gopher mounds on my little 2-acre plot.  My property is flat as a fritter so it looked real bad.  I tried drowning them.  I ran the water for 48 hours, got a water bill the rivaled the national debt, and the gophers all had indoor pools.  They would come out and set up lawn chairs and tan every now and then before going back in for a dip.  I tried poison peanuts.  Poison peanut stock soared and I was getting call-in orders from the gophers for peanuts to snack on by their indoor pool.

I happened to meet my neighbor at the store one day and I mentioned the problem.  He told me to try traps.  I have a couple but I never used them because I didn't know how.  He showed me and I think I'm winning the gopher war.  

Here's the deal dig out the gopher's hole.  You have to be careful when you first start, the gopher puts a little plug of dirt in it.  Be careful not to pack it down or you'll never find his tunnel.  Once you in the tunnel just dig out wide enough to slide the trap in.  You need to dig back in his hole about 12 inches.  If you set the trap too close to the opening the gopher just puts a plug in behind it.  Use something to keep the gopher from stealing your trap.  I use 14 ga primary wire.  Tie one end on the trap and the other to something to stake it down.  At last a use for all those cheap screwdrivers your well meaning but non-car relatives keep giving you for Christmas.  Leave the hole open.

You can check your trap about every two hours.  If you don't have gopher, pull the trap, fill the hole.  He'll be back.   If you have a riding mower or garden tractor you cut grass with, run it close to the hole.  Seems to attract them and when they sprnig the trap, you'll see your line go taut.  Sorta' like fishing.  If you see the line go taut and pull the trap right away you'll have a live gopher on your hands.  Stab him with those cheap screwdrivers, they work good for that.

So far I've killed 13 in 3 weeks.  Can you imagine; 13 little digging machines?  Course, I'm probably getting some who come visit from the pasture that surrounds my house I don't have anyone but cows for neighbors for over a ΒΌ mile but 13 gophers seems like a lot.  Today I don't have one gopher hole on my property.

Gophers don't eat bugs, spreading insect poison won't get rid of gophers. There's quite a bit of info on Oklahoma University's web site about gophers.  Happy hunting.

GPster

Is it that time of the year already? for the last couple of years there has been a gopher and a mole diatribe. It thought we were going to miss it when they started talking about mushrooms. GPster

Glen

Here is another way  to get rid of groundhogs an ar15.

www.dogbegone.com

Caution this website contains graphic video clips and is not worm petter approved nor do I support this action.

parklane

The only gophers we have up here are beer gophers. That's where you have a beer, and gopher another.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

MrMopar64

My Grandfather used to gas them with the exaust from the car...  :wink:
But at 2 buck's a gallon that could send ya to the poor house  :(

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Dirk35

I know of a couple of people that Its not uncommon for them in the SW of the state (Oklahoma) to sit in a lawn chair with a cooler of beer and the 22 or the 30-06 with the scope on it.

tomslik

Quote from: "Dirk35"I know of a couple of people that Its not uncommon for them in the SW of the state (Oklahoma) to sit in a lawn chair with a cooler of beer and the 22 or the 30-06 with the scope on it.

sounds like a redneck county fair....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Anonymous

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Dirk35"I know of a couple of people that Its not uncommon for them in the SW of the state (Oklahoma) to sit in a lawn chair with a cooler of beer and the 22 or the 30-06 with the scope on it.

Dave

Quote from: "desotoboy"
Quote from: "tomslik"

I just mowed my lawn and its all tore up from moles.. Im loading the 12 gauge and sue got me a fresh bottle of gin. Im gonna call the police first and ask about a shooting permit for the subdivision here ? Well after the gin and the second shot..
Dave

manyolkars

I've been told that the animals are there for the grubs and the grubs are there because of poor soil.  Fertilize and they will go away.

Dave

Quote from: "manyolkars"I've been told that the animals are there for the grubs and the grubs are there because of poor soil.  Fertilize and they will go away.

You trying to say im grubby ? The dandelions grow good so im assuming i got good soil? Fertilize ? Isnt that like work? I got other things to do like watch the grass grow while I drink beer..
Dave :roll:

SKR8PN

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "manyolkars"I've been told that the animals are there for the grubs and the grubs are there because of poor soil.  Fertilize and they will go away.

You trying to say im grubby ? The dandelions grow good so im assuming i got good soil? Fertilize ? Isnt that like work? I got other things to do like watch the grass grow while I drink beer..

Grubby and Lasy..........I resemble BOTH of those remarks.
Dave....I believe we have the same hobby..........
(1) watch grass grow-drink beer
(2) complain about grass growing-drink beer
(3) attempt to mow grass-mower will not start-drink beer
(4)  attempt to repair broken lawn mower(do to neglect,caused by drinking beer)and drink beer
(5) during the trip to town to retrieve parts for neglected/broken lawn mower,do NOT forget to purchase beer. Actually,that should be your FIRST stop,BEFORE stopping at the lawn mower repair shop.
(6)When you return home from beer purchase,make a large fire,so grass growing observations and also lawn mower repair, can continue into the night,as well as the beer drinking. The fire provides not only heat and light,but also provides a spot to put the broken lawn mower in the event repairs are not succesful.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Dave

Quote from: "SKR8PN"
Quote from: "N8DC"

Grubby and Lasy..........I resemble BOTH of those remarks.
Dave....I believe we have the same hobby..........
(1) watch grass grow-drink beer
(2) complain about grass growing-drink beer
(3) attempt to mow grass-mower will not start-drink beer
(4)  attempt to repair broken lawn mower(do to neglect,caused by drinking beer)and drink beer
(5) during the trip to town to retrieve parts for neglected/broken lawn mower,do NOT forget to purchase beer. Actually,that should be your FIRST stop,BEFORE stopping at the lawn mower repair shop.
(6)When you return home from beer purchase,make a large fire,so grass growing observations and also lawn mower repair, can continue into the night,as well as the beer drinking. The fire provides not only heat and light,but also provides a spot to put the broken lawn mower in the event repairs are not succesful.

Yup you got it... Im glad someone thinks like me..
Dave :)

Dirk35

If it makes you old fellows feel better, I woke up early Saturday (noon)  , then went to the couch and slept till about 3pm. What a waste!!

I was really planning on getting up early and finishing up the panel I made to mount my wire harness fuse box thingy to and start running wires. I just got my Harbor Frieght Bead roller in two weeks ago.

So, I mowed the yard (riding mower) and then had a margarita (wanted more margaritas, choose not to with the neighbor over), and BBQed hamburgers for dinner. I like beer too, but had tequila, so the going to the sotre part was unecessary.

My daughter had the neighbor over for a sleep over. Their ages 5 and 7. All I heard all night was, "Shhhhh, pretend your asleep! Giggle, giggle giggle! Oh, a bug, Giggle, giggle giggle! I got your bear, Giggle, giggle giggle! Teee, Heeeee, snicker, Giggle, Giggle, giggle!"