Problems with a used aluminum intake

Started by junkyardjeff, May 20, 2007, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I put on a used aluminum intake on a 302 in my 65 custom 500 and it ran like crap,changed carbs and still the same so I pulled the intake off and the gaskets did not shift so I guess the problem is with the intake.  It seemed like it was only running on 4 cylinders and smelled lean,what would happen if it was milled for milled heads and then installed on a motor that has not had the heads milled.  I should of looked at it closer before I installed it as it looks like someone ground the old gasket off and gouged it around a couple ports and it popped right off when I removed it and looks like it did not compress the gaskets much.  I used OEM style gaskets but should I used aftermarket style gaskets on aluminum intakes,I ordered a new intake fron Jegs last night and will see what happens when I install it.  Jeff

tomslik

sounds like you're on the right track..

did it leak coolant?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

junkyardjeff

It did not leak any coolant but I did put sealer on the gaskets around the coolant ports,it crushed the gaskets where it meets the block but it did not seem to crush the gasket very much where it meets the head.  When I get the new intake I am going to check the thickness where it meets the heads to see if it had been milled in the past and then decide if its junk.  Jeff

UGLY OLDS

While you have the intake off, try laying it on the engine with new side gaskets & leave the end ( cork) gaskets off...see if you get a decent fit...If so you may be able to use silicone on the end rails in place of the cork gaskets ( like a small block Chevy ) , & use the manifold you have now...I also think Fel-Pro makes a set of thicker side gaskets to resolve the same issue...Hope it help$.........
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

BFS57

Hello;
It's too late now, but if you have the same problem again, (I had a leaky intake gasket) just spray a bit of WD-40 around the intake when it's running and see if the motor makes any changes in running. Thats how I discovered it was my intake gasket.

Bruce

paul5456

see new post under Intake sealing - must have clicked on wrong thing.

junkyardjeff

It runs alot smoother with the new intake but it developed a miss and still has the lifter tick which I will look into tomorrow.  Jeff