Looking For An Old "W" Motor.

Started by 40, April 25, 2007, 10:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I want to get started this Spring on the renovation of my old Chevy Pickup.I am wanting to build it retro-style with a 409 or possibly a 348,dual quads or trips and a Tremec 5 or possibly a 6-speed gear rower.Just wondering if any of the membership might know of one hiding in someones back room or under a bench somewhere.I have ran across a few 409's but would need to mortgage my house to afford them.The 348's are more readily available and less expensive but I understand there were various issues with them in certain years. I will be patient and look for a while but if something doesn't turn up,I may just go with a crate big block.I have also entertained the thought of an old "Nailhead" as a power plant but they seem nearly as scarce.Anything hiding out there?????
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

348tripower

Quote from: "40"I want to get started this Spring on the renovation of my old Chevy Pickup.I am wanting to build it retro-style with a 409 or possibly a 348,dual quads or trips and a Tremec 5 or possibly a 6-speed gear rower.Just wondering if any of the membership might know of one hiding in someones back room or under a bench somewhere.I have ran across a few 409's but would need to mortgage my house to afford them.The 348's are more readily available and less expensive but I understand there were various issues with them in certain years. I will be patient and look for a while but if something doesn't turn up,I may just go with a crate big block.I have also entertained the thought of an old "Nailhead" as a power plant but they seem nearly as scarce.Anything hiding out there?????

I have seen some on Ebay and you might try the HAMB classifieds, there were some around there. I had a 348 tripower in my 29 coupe and it was a attention getter! I had a 409 I put together, a dual quad motor, just to make some money and it worked!
Don
Don Colliau

nitrofc

You can have mine ..but the 32 goes along with it

"You can have mine ..but the 32 goes along with it".......I'll bet there's a catch.....Like.....MONEY!! :P

fitzwell

was a couple of 348's on craigslist dallas today, one 3x2, one locked up.
 1200.00 for both.
i never knew what time it was \'til closing time came round

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

river1

there's one on phx craigslist also

a few days ago, don't remember details but he wanted $500

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Rochie

Daryle,  did you get the email I sent regarding a Canadian W motor??

Wayne

Wayne,I did not receive it. If you sent it to the Cableone.net address,I have been unable to access that mailbox for quite some time.If you don't mind,please resend it to PepperTaker@aol.com .........Thanks!