Aluminum Radiator's ?

Started by 31suv, May 08, 2007, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

31suv

Resently finished my 31 A equiped with a Griffin 32 radiator. I had just left a show, that the car won best in show,when some how something got inside the shrowd and cut 3 coils close to the bottom tank. I took it to a rad. shop and the owner tried to repair it. He explained to me that the coils were epoxyed to the tank and the heat melted the epoxy when he tryed to repair the coil's .So its time for a new rad. I was looking at an AFCO from Summit that advertises 100% tig weld and about $100 cheaper.Does anyone have any recomandation's.The only thing that bothers me about switching brands is I have allready set up my condenser and shrowed for the Griffin.
Thanks Curtis
East Texas,the right side of Texas

rumrumm

I have an AFCO aluminum radiator in my '32, and it is a good quality radiator for the money. No cooling issues. You should be able to utilize the shrould and the condenser on the new radiator.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

EMSjunkie

I just put a PRC alum. rad in the Mrs. daily driver.  83 S-10 with a small block :shock:
appears to be excellent quality, was a bit pricey, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. no a/c, so I don't hafta worry about that, no auto tranny either.  havent gotten it fired up yet, had to change the H2O pump, all the pulleys etc.  not much room up front  :-o

East TX.......hummmmm.......almost Louisiana :P  :P

The Panhandle, thats where the REAL hotrodders are :!:  :wink:  :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

PRC will build a 100 percent welded radiator to your specs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

I have to agree with everyone else that PRC is the top of the line aluminum radiator. And they stand behind their product.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

kb426

I ordered a PRC from HB Classics last week for the 32. I haven't got it yet so I'm not much help. (as usual)
TEAM SMART

alchevy

I had an AFCO rad in my '40 Chevy and had problems with it getting holes in it. I read later on that you have to make very sure that it has plenty of rad fluid in it, or it will get cracks and leak out. Don't know how it leaked out in the first place. Then trying to find someone to work on it...I found one shop about an hour away to be the only one around here that would touch an aluminum one. They just closed off a couple of the tubes on one end.
I had bought the rad well before I put it in the car and well before the motor was cranked. So by then it was out of waranty. I pulled it out and bought a Walker rad with a 5 year war.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

31suv

Thanks Guy's,sounds like PRC is the way to go.I found one for $410+shipping.Thats about $200 less than the Griffin.Thank's again.
Curtis
East Texas,the right side of Texas

Dave

I had a griffin that started leaking about 2 weeks before the warranty was up. Street Rods by Michael got it replaced for me but if i ever have another one go south and out of warranty ill get the prc.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:
oh ya everything being custom i had to line everything back up and had one hell of a time with the hood top. Its never gonna open as good as when i built the car..

donsrods

PRC are super people to deal with and build a great radiator.  The welding looks like it should be in an art studio.  Price is really good also.

Don

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "donsrods"PRC are super people to deal with and build a great radiator.  The welding looks like it should be in an art studio.  Price is really good also.

Don

Yes they are :D  :D

I spoke with Gary, I think he's the big cheeze at PRC
super Dude to deal with 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

donsrods

I think you are right about him.  I spent a lot of time talking with him at Daytona/ Turkey Run, a couple of years ago.  Nice guy, and very knowledgable about cooling systems evidently.  He took whatever time was needed to help me, and I got the same kind of assistance when I ordered on the phone.

They are one of those companies you never are afraid to recommend to someone.

Don