Off Topic - Grease Stains on Composite Deck Boards

Started by msuguydon, May 01, 2007, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

I have a deck on my home that uses composite material for the horizontal planks, my grill has been leaking grease, forgot to clean out the little catch bucket.

Any suggestions for cleaning materials/techniques to get the grease stains off my deck
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

UGLY OLDS

This is gonna sound crazy.....Try dishwashing detergent applied with a small scrub brush.....( "Dawn"...What ever...) Try it on a hidden out of the way area first...Great grease cutter... :D  ( And soooo mild on the hands......... :shock: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Don,
You need to know what type of composite it is so you pick up the right cleaning chemicals. The wrong ones will cause seperation and flaking and bleaching spots..
Take a small sample to Lowes or H.D. and see if it's a wood composite or a recycled plastic composite. You can use wood cleaner on the plastic stuff provided it doesn't have resins or thinners in it, but you can't use plastic cleaner on wood.
Try a mild pressure washing also. Here's a tip that's time consuming but worth a shot. Spray some Dawn on the stain, wet down a dish towel, wring it out, place it over the stain and rub a clothes iron set on high over the dish towel. The heat will raise the board gently and the Dawn will soak in better. Don't leave the heat in one place too long, especially if it's a plastic type material. Leave it set for awhile and blast it with a hose.

Or, replace the board... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Harry

Simple Green mixed with water.
It won't hurt wood or plastic.