enjenjo, a q 4 ya..

Started by tomslik, May 02, 2007, 07:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

your disc brake deal has me inspired BUT caliper brackets scare me.
a little insight on someting maybe?
thinking about using 6 bolt rotors off a late model gm pu on, say, a 60-66 chevy pu?
yeah, i know there's kits but $$$ :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Ok, you have the rotor figured out. Now to caliper brackets. There are several sources for them. UB Machine, and Speedway, among others have fabricated weld on brackets for most GM calipers. You can also use Blazer front axle backing plates. Basically what you are looking for is something to bolt the caliper to, you can cut any unneeded parts away.

Bolt the caliper to whatever bracket you are using, and clamp it to the rotor from the out side, using new pads, this is as far out as the caliper ever travels. Then make a second bracket that fits the spindle, and will fit to the caliper bracket, and weld or bolt the two together.

Also, later GM cars and trucks, along with most Fords and Mopars, have a separate caliper bracket that bolts to the spindle, in many cases you can make an adapter that fits those brackets to fit your spindle.

I'll get some pictures to help make this more clear.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

you betcha i'd take pics!
but if i end up making my own brackets, how thick would ya recommend?
i'm thinking at least 1/2"....

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"you betcha i'd take pics!
but if i end up making my own brackets, how thick would ya recommend?
i'm thinking at least 1/2"....

The caliper part of a stock GM bracket is roughly 3/8" thick. So that is what I use. The adapter bracket can be from 3/8" to 1/2" depending on how large it is. You don't want it to flex too much.

If you stock backing plate is held on by the anchor pin at the top, and two smaller bolts on the bottom, you might be able to use 69 or so Impala disc brake backing plates with a late pickup rotor, as long as it's 11" diameter.

tomslik

thanks foir the info, makes me feel better..

IF i decide to build the truck rather than sell it, i'll take pics...

Bob Paulin

Another point to consider when designing caliper brackets.....

You will notice that OEM and most aftermarket caliper brackets are set up so the bolts only hold the caliper to the bracket....They do NOT absorb any braking forces.

Most calipers are a snug fit between a couple of pads against which the main body of the caliper rides, and transmits braking forces.

Seeing caliper setups that pass ALL the braking forces through the mounting bolts really scares me......
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

enjenjo

Good point Bob. The bracket should control the braking forces, not the bolts.