Power Window Kits

Started by 40_Tudor, April 26, 2007, 09:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40_Tudor

I need a couple of power window kits for the door glass on my 40 Tudor.
Anyone have anything to say, good or bad, on some of the less expensive universal kits such as Its-A-Snap or others.
Anyone tried the cable type or are the direct drives better?
I've had the door glass cut for no vent windows like a 39.
I have the glass but its to hard holding them up while driving, especially the passengers side.

Also a guy I work with just bought a 41 Willies with a MII suspension and is looking for a set of tubular A-arms that's 1" shorter for more tire clearance.
I know, I know, I keep telling him to offset the rims so he doesn't screw up the geometry but he's determined to run shorter a-arms.
Heidts & Fatmans as 5/8" shorter and they're pretty pricey.
Any suggestions?

Kctom

Quote from: "40_Tudor"I need a couple of power window kits for the door glass on my 40 Tudor.
Anyone have anything to say, good or bad, on some of the less expensive universal kits such as Its-A-Snap or others.
I have the glass but its to hard holding them up while driving, especially the passengers side.

Also a guy I work with just bought a 41 Willies with a MII suspension and is looking for a set of tubular A-arms that's 1" shorter for more tire clearance.
I know, I know, I keep telling him to offset the rims so he doesn't screw up the geometry but he's determined to run shorter a-arms.
Any suggestions?
for a-arms
Get on e-bay and look up fatrodder or call him at 1-3192324870 . I've used 3 sets from him. best price around and great shipping. I would stay away from its a snap. They only have one side, they send you two of them. If you have plenty of room you can make them fit. The same side does not work on all cars. The salesman said they fit in a 47 ford great. This will be true on one side but the other you would have to mount it on the outside of the car to make it work. Makes it hard to wax the door on that side. The problem is the motor on the bottom of the unit is mounted offset. So to make it work on the other door you have to turn it around and the motor now hits the outside door skin before you can get it lined up with the track. So be sure you get a set that has a left and a right. Which they don't have. Spent 3 days trying to install one side and 30 minutes on the other. Then took them out and sold them. Take heed gentleman.

paul5456

If the windows presently use (or can use) the stock assembly, Nu Relics has a motorized version of them.  Very nice.  I have them in my 48 (with the vent windows) and they work very good. www.nu-relics.com

phat rat

if you fabricate you can use all your old mechanism and a Ford power window motor from before they went metric. You will need the bracket from the newer Ford and cut and weld it to the 40 bracket. The gears mesh perfectly. I did my 41 this way and if by chance the motor goes south a replacement is as close as the junkyard or dealer.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have installed many sets of Specialty Power Windows with good results and then a couple of years ago,I bought a couple of sets much cheaper from Gary Ball at Balls Rod& Custom in Louisville at the Nats.They worked equally as well and I saved a few bucks.He always has a stack of them at a very good price at the Nats if you're not in a big hurry.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Okiedokie

I have the Nu-Relics in my 40 coupe, no vent windows. Installed easy, have not used yet. Not cheap though. Really, if you are looking for cheap, stock regulators are a possibilty although you would have to modify the channel to center the glass. In my previous 40's I have found it easy to reach across to passenger door to raise/lower the window.

37fordcoupe

I have also used Nu-Relics 0n my 37 Coupe everything is a direct bolt-in
with no fab work. I think the price was about $550.00 but it sure was easy. I also have the smokers window in the 37. My brother ordered his for a 1940 Coupe with smokers window..

Darrell
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

Kctom

Quote from: "40_Tudor"I need a couple of power window kits for the door glass on my 40 Tudor.

Any suggestions?

What I ended up using was a set from pick a part for 35.00. They were from a hyunda or what ever it is , used the rear one from a 4-door. They have a little bow in the track. bent it over my knee to straighten it out. works great