Non-Rod wheel bearing question

Started by Mac, May 09, 2007, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

My Yoda Corolla (FWD) has developed a noise I think is one of the front wheel bearings. It's a humming sound that's slight when driving straight ahead, worse on left curves and goes away on right curves. I was thinking right whl. brg. because it's loaded on left handers. I have felt for hub warming left, right, even rears after highway travel but found nothing. Could it be CV joint possibly? Or, Gawd forbid, a tranny bearing?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

tom36

From my experience with FWD's,  it sure sounds like a CV joint or 1/2 shaft, whatever you want to call it,  to me.  Tom...

papastoyss

Quote from: "Mac"My Yoda Corolla (FWD) has developed a noise I think is one of the front wheel bearings. It's a humming sound that's slight when driving straight ahead, worse on left curves and goes away on right curves. I was thinking right whl. brg. because it's loaded on left handers. I have felt for hub warming left, right, even rears after highway travel but found nothing. Could it be CV joint possibly? Or, Gawd forbid, a tranny bearing?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mac
If the noise changes pitch when turning steering wheel it is more than likely to be ft. wheel bearing. The bearing has to be pressed off & on the hub and spindle.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

SKR8PN

Wheel bearings. CV joints will click more than groan.
Change both sides while your at it. WHY? Because they both have the same mileage and both have the same abuse.......
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

model a vette

I did the pass cv axle on the wife's Nissan a few weeks ago for a similar problem. The boot had torn and I suspected the cv joint was cuasing a noise and vibration. Changed axle and the vibration when away.
I had checked the drivers side and it seemed to be OK.  Flash to the next oil change: drivers side boot torn! Follow SKR8PN's advice: change both because they been down the same road.
Ed

enjenjo

I believe you can get a wheel bearing/ hub assembly which is the easy way to do it. If not, you may need a hub shark to change it without pulling the strut.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"I believe you can get a wheel bearing/ hub assembly which is the easy way to do it. If not, you may need a hub shark to change it without pulling the strut.

Do you think bearing/hub assys. are available aftermarket or are they Toyota only?
And, uh, please to explain "hub shark". It is foriegn phrase to me  :?
Thanks, Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

They are available aftermarket.

A hub shark is a tool for removing the hub from the bearing with the strut still on the car.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.