KYB Shock question

Started by 41woodie, April 18, 2007, 12:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Time for my semi-annual stupid question.....I'm putting KYB Gas-a-just shocks on my 41 Woodie (no smart remarks please!).  Aren't the rebound and compression rates on these shocks truly adjustable??  If so, how?  The only thing that comes to mind would be twisting the rod.  Maybe it's just a cute name for a shock.  I will say they are VERY much firmer than the shocks I'm removing.

Dave

Quote from: "41woodie"Time for my semi-annual stupid question.....I'm putting KYB Gas-a-just shocks on my 41 Woodie (no smart remarks please!).  Aren't the rebound and compression rates on these shocks truly adjustable??  If so, how?  The only thing that comes to mind would be twisting the rod.  Maybe it's just a cute name for a shock.  I will say they are VERY much firmer than the shocks I'm removing.

If they are regular shocls and truly adjustable you have to run the rod to the bottom and then turn and they should click.. At least thats the way my set of adjustables worked..
Dave :arrow:

41woodie

I'll try that and see what I get, thanks, MH

41woodie

If they are regular shocls and truly adjustable you have to run the rod to the bottom and then turn and they should click.. At least thats the way my set of adjustables worked..
Dave :arrow:[/quote]

Dave, I tried compressing them to the bottom and turning them, no clicks. I let them extend fully and still no clicks. I'm kind of concerned about how stiff they are, to compress them I have to put one end on the ground and use my full weight to compress them, and when compressed they are very hard to hold in that position because they keep trying to extend.

sirstude

Dave, I tried compressing them to the bottom and turning them, no clicks. I let them extend fully and still no clicks. I'm kind of concerned about how stiff they are, to compress them I have to put one end on the ground and use my full weight to compress them, and when compressed they are very hard to hold in that position because they keep trying to extend.[/quote]

You are fighting the gas in the shock, not the rates.  You cannot tell how the shock rate is by hand.  Drive the car with them on and then if not comfortable, fight the adjustment at that time.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised with them out of the box.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

41woodie

Quote from: "sirstude"Dave, I tried compressing them to the bottom and turning them, no clicks. I let them extend fully and still no clicks. I'm kind of concerned about how stiff they are, to compress them I have to put one end on the ground and use my full weight to compress them, and when compressed they are very hard to hold in that position because they keep trying to extend.

You are fighting the gas in the shock, not the rates.  You cannot tell how the shock rate is by hand.  Drive the car with them on and then if not comfortable, fight the adjustment at that time.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised with them out of the box.

Doug[/quote]  Will do, thanks