Old Town In Orlando

Started by BFS57, February 12, 2007, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Just had the shock of my life Saturday! I knew the Classic Chevy guys were at Old Town with a show so, instead of firing up my '32 Vicky, I took the wife and kid to the show in my daily driven '57.
This car is (right now) no beauty queen! Got a couple rust spots on the roof, couple new fenders in front in primer, a pass front door in primer too. Believe it or not, I was told I couldn't take this car in to Old Town!
I've seen a ton of rusty crusty cars there before, I guess they just got some new rules or something.
The way I look at is if they don't like my 57 I'm sure they won't like my 32 even if it is a $45K car! So... guess I won't be going there soon! (or again)
Anyone else ever had this kind of thing happen to them?
I'm curious! Are some of these local shows getting too big for their pants!

Bruce

Carnut

Yeah, ain't car shows a hoot?

Don't know what to say on your situation, I've always been a free for all type of guy, organization and control just not comfortable for me. I realize the need for control to make things safe and comfortable for all, it just don't fit me.

Ya just gotta pic the venues you like.

Many years ago I used to attend a nearby show in a small town as things got more and more regulated, until one year I was told precisely which parking spot I was to park and then the next year I was told to reposition my Chrysler in it's parking spot because I was angled too much in the spot. Needless to say I left the show instead of trying to reangle my position and I've never attended the show since. Guess I'm just hard to deal with.

Heck I also remember back in 73 when I was kicked out of an indoor show when the promoter discovered my coupe was 'In Primer', boy do the times change.

To each his own on picking shows.

Heck, the HAMB drags are getting a bit too organized for me.

Grandadeo

I always wished Old Town was closer to where we live so we could go more often.  I only go about every other year cause its about a 3 hour drive home and I'm not going to stay over night just for a cruise night.  Guess you just save me a trip.  Maybe it wasn't the primer.  Did you have the required number of pouty dolls with you to lean against your bumper?  Had my 4 1/2 month old grandson with us at River Ranch.  He had his bib overalls on and everything.  But every time I leaned him up against the roadster's spreader bar he just kept falling over.  Guess I'll have to keep working with him till he gets it right.

Have you tried the New Smyrna Beach cruise night?  Second Saturday of the month.  They block off Canal Street and have a 2-300 car turn out.  Maybe we'll try to make that next month.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

UGLY OLDS

One of the best shows in our area is put on by a local chapter of the AACA...It probably draws about 350/400 cars of every shape size color condition...Really oddball stuff..."Survivor" 30's to late 60's Mopars...Studebakers of all kinds..You name it...Lots of 4 doors that would not get a second look anywhere else...A little rust spot here, a "blemish" there ,A lot of people just out looking at cars...EVERYBODY parks on the grass in a big fairgrounds area...Only one rule that I've seen in the 20 years I've gone there...Get there early & you get to park under a shade tree!!!  My kinda car show......... :D
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Just had the shock of my life Saturday! I knew the Classic Chevy guys were at Old Town.
I'm curious! Are some of these local shows getting too big for their pants!

Bruce

You picked a night when the crusty, arogant, irritable, tight-wad, nose in the air, gold chain wearin', panties-in-a-bunch prim and proper crowd was there.

Sounds to me like their show wasn't good enough for your car... :!:

Pizzzzzzz on em'...Tell them to... :)(
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Crosley.In.AZ

this one will make ya scratch yer head.....

A buddy borrowed a car from me many years ago.  1969 Camaro SS. It was sorta rough , a project in the works.  Gray primer on some areas that I worked out the wrinkles.  427 & t-400 in it for power.

He lived in a trailer park in what was north Phoenix at the time.  Bell road & 30th street area.

The park would not allow the car inside because the car  was in "unsightly" condition.  The car could sit out front of the park entrance, not inside at his trailer parking next to his trailer.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Tony, maybe instead of using primer, you should've covered it with aluminum siding. :lol:

Ugly Olds, where is that car show you talked about?  I'm near LaSalle/Peru.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Tony, maybe instead of using primer, you should've covered it with aluminum siding. :lol:

Ugly Olds, where is that car show you talked about?  I'm near LaSalle/Peru.

Sandwich Il..( Dekalb County fairgrounds)  Every Memorial Day...Be early..Get a tree !!! :lol:  :lol:

ps..Kinda neat swap meet too...Lots "from the country" kinda stuff....GREAT prices....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

acr

I had a friend get turned down at OT for the same reason. He has a nice car with new interior, great body, etc. but the paint isn't done.And yes they are getting too snooty IMHO.
I guess they wont be having a "Rat Rod" night !!

donsrods

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.  I am planning on going to Oldtown this Summer (lived here since 1982, never been there yet) but if they have that kind of snobbishnes, I don't think I would like it.

I was surprised that entry forms for Turkey Run last year said no primer, or rusty cars too, and that may be another show that is getting too big for it's britches.  It said the personel at the gate had the ability to turn any car away not deemed showworthy.  That seems too subjective to me.

And yet, a friend of mine got his "rat rod" into the show.......how, I will never know.  He has the bucks to build much better stuff, but built this one for pure fun.

Don