My new daily rod

Started by Mac, April 09, 2007, 12:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Just got a new ride to replace my `92 K1500 daily.  :D
It's a `63 Chevy C-10 Fleetside shortbed. I bought it 3 hrs. away in upstate NY. Very upstate, in fact 50 feet from the Erie Canal. Advertised as being orig. a N.Carolina truck; the frame and body condition bears this out.
Seller said it's a 283 but the previous, previous owner claimed it was a 327 which came from Posie's. Anybody's guess. :? It's topped by a Holley 750 on a Edel. Performer. Seems like a lot for such a small SBC but it ran strong. Especially with small rams horn mani's and 1 3/4" pipes. Behind it is a 3 spd. stick now on the floor and a 12 bolt rear.
I drove it home and just barely made it on the Optima battery `cause the charging system went down. Turns out that hidden in the split loom the "R" and "F" wires from the Delco external regulator to the alt. were poorly spliced and came apart. Fixed that with new wires and threw a kit in an Edel. 600 I had and plopped that on this weekend. Still runs strong and now the lights stay lit, too.  :)

Upgrade plans are for power steering ( I won't be trying much paralell parking with the man, steer. and 13" steering wheel it's got), front discs
with a dual master and eventually some sort of 5 spd. like T5 or Tremec.
Oh, and real mirrors. The peeps are completely worthless.
I'm lovin it,
Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

Carps

That's a much purdier truck than any '92 or later model, good choice.

I know it's prollay an optical illusion but after you fix the mirrors, maybe puttin the big tars onna back anna little tars onna front might just get it up there in the coller than way cool league.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mac

Quote from: "Carps"That's a much purdier truck than any '92 or later model, good choice.

I know it's prollay an optical illusion but after you fix the mirrors, maybe puttin the big tars onna back anna little tars onna front might just get it up there in the coller than way cool league.   :wink:

Oh yeayah, much purdier and you know, a good bit less rusty than the `92.

As the sole respondent may I thank for the kind words, Carps? At least I think they are.  :? One can't ever be certain with these on-line messages.

If yous pokin fun at me you be lafin out thuder side yur fice when come dis summer I be cruzin my Mickey T rubber rake, da Cornferate flag pinted on the ruff and my mullet flyin in da breeze.  :shock:
Who\'s yer Data?

Carnut

Hey, I think it's a cool ride, but I'm kinda partial to the peep mirrors myself.

Good Looking Truck! Not many of that era around our area!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat46

Sharp truck.  I hope you're not planning on driving it year round, it'll look like that '92 in no
time at all then!!!   :shock: Keep the late model for the snow and salt!

Mac

Quote from: "phat46"Sharp truck.  I hope you're not planning on driving it year round, it'll look like that '92 in no
time at all then!!!   :shock: Keep the late model for the snow and salt!

Thanks.
Well the 92's gone. Sold it to scrape money together for the 63. Although it is now my only truck I won't need it for everyday and I'll be able to baby it to some extent. It was time to replace the 92 that I bought 10 yrs. ago. 1 of my 2 boys is living out on his own now so I can get by without the extended cab and I just wanted to get off the depreciation merry-go-round. My thinking is: I'd rather maintain and upgrade something I enjoy working on, has some character and maybe holds it's value or better.
:D
Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

river1

nice truck, i likey

Quote from: "Mac"Oh, and real mirrors. The peeps are completely worthless.
I'm lovin it,
Mac

as for the peeps, go to your local auto parts store and buy stick on CONVEX mirrors in the correct diameter. when i had peeps on my VW DRD57 recommended the convex mirrors and they worked great.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Mac

as for the peeps, go to your local auto parts store and buy stick on CONVEX mirrors in the correct diameter. when i had peeps on my VW DRD57 recommended the convex mirrors and they worked great.

later jim[/quote]

Thanks Jim, that would be a trick solution. There will be times when I'll be pulling a trailer so I'm going with a pair I scored on ebay that came off an early Ranger (sorry for the F word). Smaller scale than a full size P-cup mirror so they won't look too gauky but nice and functional. I could tell from the scars around the top of the door that the PO tried locating the peeps some other places for best adjustment but they are only good for squirrel spotting in trees you just pasted.  :)

I just might stick the peeps on the `69 Ghia I bought about a month before this truck.  :D
Who\'s yer Data?