tilt steering wheel issue.

Started by Ed ke6bnl, April 07, 2007, 09:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

I put a 70ish Camero non shifter on the column tilt in my 50 F1 and when I put a lower seat in the truck the tilt was not enought down.  While I was in the truck today my boy was driving I was looking at the tilt column and realized that the tilt goes way up from straight and does not go down hardly past straight.  When I went and look at a stock tilt on my el camino I noticed the column tilts oposite the one in my truck it goes down way past straight and up a slight amount above straight.  DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG ON THE INSTALL and if so any clues to how to correct the problem  thanks so much Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

enjenjo

If the column has been apart, you might have the latch mechanism in wrong. But not all GM columns tilt the same amount.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"I put a 70ish Camero non shifter on the column tilt in my 50 F1 and when I put a lower seat in the truck the tilt was not enought down.  While I was in the truck today my boy was driving I was looking at the tilt column and realized that the tilt goes way up from straight and does not go down hardly past straight.  When I went and look at a stock tilt on my el camino I noticed the column tilts oposite the one in my truck it goes down way past straight and up a slight amount above straight.  DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG ON THE INSTALL and if so any clues to how to correct the problem  thanks so much Ed ke6bnl

Its prolly just the angle the column is mounted at. All mine do that also just because its hard to get the perfect angle and clear everything and look nice.. Cadillac tilt colums had one more position on the tilt than regular columns and the part that lets it do that can be changed out on the vehicle. I did that on my 34 and the 1 omre position was like night and day. I think thats what Ididit uses in thiers because they have i believe its the 5 position tilt..
Dave

Ed ke6bnl

I will try to get a picture of what I am trying to explain the elcomino is 180 degrees opposite the flex of the 70ish camero tilt in the Ford F1.  The one in the Ford will nearly have the steering wheel horizontal while the elcomino will drop down in your lap. thank for the input.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,