31x10.50 x15 tires ??

Started by Dave, April 05, 2007, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

31x10.50 x15 tires.. anyone running em and experiences? looks ride etc.. I may have a deal on 2 sets of 285/70/15's with about 50 miles on em . One set for sure but i may make an offer on both. But im lookin for options.. Oh ya these will be on a 15x10 wheel.
Dave

Beck

I ran a set of the large BFG 15" Sport Truck radials on my 33 Hiboy. They worked super. With the tall sidewall you can help the suspension feel by running lower air pressure. That isn't possible with the narrow sidewall 20" wheel combinations.

C9

I ran a pair of the BFG 31.50R x 15's on my 32 roadster.
Ran 12# - 16# pressure, usually 16#.
Seemed like they rode ok, but there was a noticeable improvement in the ridewhen I went to the BFG 285/70R-15's.
I run 20# in these.

The 31.50's have 7 plies in the tread and 3 plies in the sidewall.
They are a light truck tire.

The 285's have 3 plies in the tread and one ply in the sidewall.
They're a passenger tire.

Measurements on both are virtually the same.

Both sets of tires were on 10" wide slot mags fwiw.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

Quote from: "C9"I ran a pair of the BFG 31.50R x 15's on my 32 roadster.
Ran 12# - 16# pressure, usually 16#.
Seemed like they rode ok, but there was a noticeable improvement in the ride when I went to the BFG 285/70R-15's.
I run 20# in these.

The 31.50's have 7 plies in the tread and 3 plies in the sidewall.
They are a light truck tire.

The 285's have 3 plies in the tread and one ply in the sidewall.
They're a passenger tire.

Measurements on both are virtually the same.

Both sets of tires were on 10" wide slot mags fwiw.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "jusjunk"31x10.50 x15 tires.. anyone running em and experiences? looks ride etc.. I may have a deal on 2 sets of 285/70/15's with about 50 miles on em . One set for sure but i may make an offer on both. But im lookin for options.. Oh ya these will be on a 15x10 wheel.
Dave

I run a 33" tall light truck radial on the old WZ JUNK truck.  I do not know about the ride quality as the truck has S10 springs and slapper bars.  Both of those make for a stiff ride in about anything.  However the rubber they are made of is very hard and should last a lifetime on a hot rod.  I once did a smokin burn out on my buddys driveway and the tire tread dug grooves in the asphalt.  I tried them on two different runs on the drag strip.  Both passes I had a good look at the guard rails on both sides of the track at speed in second gear.  They have very poor traction qualities.

That is all I know about light truck tires.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

freddrew

I have been running the 31x10.50 x15 tireson my 46 Ford pickup for 3 years now and the only complaint is they are out of balance now.  I needed the load range due to pulling a trailer most of the time and the amount of crap we carry.  For the Winter, I put 3 60 pound bags of sand in the rear.  

Fred Drew
Fred