Frame question

Started by phat46, April 05, 2007, 10:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Does anyone know if a frame from a four door '68 Chevelle is the same as the two door frame? What other G.M frames are the same as the Chevelle? My brother had a '68 SS 396 given to him that needs a frame and he has access to a four door  frame but we don't know if it'll fit. TIA

enjenjo

In 68, no it's not the same. any GM intermediate two door, Chevelle, Lemans/Tempest, Cutlass, or Skylark, as long as it has the same number of door will fit. Also 68 to 72 should fit, thought there might be small differences.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "phat46"Does anyone know if a frame from a four door '68 Chevelle is the same as the two door frame? What other G.M frames are the same as the Chevelle? My brother had a '68 SS 396 given to him that needs a frame and he has access to a four door  frame but we don't know if it'll fit. TIA

The two-door frame is 112" while the four-door is 115"

I have shortened the four-door to 112" for oval-track race car purposes, but never for a street application.

I would guess that you can take three inches out somewhere and make it work - probably at the rear torque box. If it is a particularly good frame, I would probably try to use it.

Careful measuring and re-measuring should answer any questions.

I recently read that someone is re-producing these frames now, but, as you might guess, if you need to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green