electric fan question

Started by speedracer, March 25, 2007, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Here goes, I have a large electric straight bladed fan, I forgot the cfm but it was the biggest summit racing had for my car.  Now I've mounted it on the inside of the radiator with the air pulling towards the engine, I have a smaller cfm s-fan that I have room for infront of the radiator.  Will this work cooling the engine more that just one fan?  The engine runs alittle warm now (around 200-210) and was thinking about this.  Any suggestions or comments from you rodders!
Thanks, johnny/el camino :shock:  :?

enjenjo

Yes it will work. I would suggest mounting the fans offset so they cover the entire core. And hook up the vacuum advance, that will make more difference than any fans.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

speedracer

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes it will work. I would suggest mounting the fans offset so they cover the entire core. And hook up the vacuum advance, that will make more difference than any fans.
I did hook up the vacuum advance and adjusted the timing and idle and it doe's run a tad cooler and when I race I just plug it back up it doe's run alittle faster in the quarter mile (about a third of a second) but for around town hooked is the way to go (no matter what my shop says).  johnny

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, just making sure :lol:
A good shroud goes a long way for cooling.
I hate electric fans. I avoid them at all costs. I've used flex fans and factory fans with the clutch. I always build a shroud to fit the car/fan.
I just took apart a P-30 step van (Frito truck). It has this tiny electric fan mounted about 6" behind the radiator, without a shroud. I can't believe this thing cooled. The fan did have a large regular (not pancake) motor.

donsrods

This week I have to order one for my T project, and have to go to Speedway because they carry the SPAL line and Summit doesn't.  SPAl is the only fan I will run because of the great luck I have had on my other cars, and from conversations I had with an aftermarket radiator manufacturer a while back.  He said he has a tester they built to evaluate fan output, and no other fan has come close to the SPAL.  I have to agree, when you turn it on it really moves some air.

I also use a shroud, and the biggest fan I can get in there.  My Kid is running this same setup on his 455 Olds powered '29. pictured below.

Don

Dave

Street rods by Michael has spal fans too.. I bought mine from him at louisville in 04..
Dave

Dirk35

I used the same Spal Fan from Summit. I havent used a shroud yet. Ive only had it running since about August of last year. I have NOT ran around with the hood on yet, but have ran it in over 100 degree weather. I has only kicked on a few times and seems to cool it just fine. Ill know more after this summer. That fan moves a LOT of air!