vega box

Started by kb426, March 31, 2007, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Is there a brand of repo that is better than the others? Are any of these real cheap ones on ebay any different than the others? What's the safe answer?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I used the Unisteer in the roadster I built last fall.  I like the way it drives on the road and it is very easy to turn when parking and at slow speed.  It does decrease the turning radius of the vehicle when you compare it to the Vega box but it is not a problem.  The big plus for it was that it was cheaper than any of the Vega boxes and it is a nice looking piece with polished parts.  I bought it from Williams Streetrod Parts in Illinois.  http://www.williamsstreetrods.com/
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Deuce

I too bought a UniSteer ... it bolts right in place of a Vega box. I have NOT driven my 32 3W yet  :(  but I drove a friends 32 roadster with the UniSteer and it was nice. I liked it well enough to buy one for my 32 ...

PS ... I have a genuine GM made Vega low mile box in my 32 roadster ... and I prefer the UniSteer ... I plan on changing the roadster over soon ... to a UniSteer.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

kb426

How much did it change the turning radius?
TEAM SMART

Topsterguy

I used a Flaming River Vega box in my roadster and a Mullins one in my coupe, and the Mullins one seems better to me. The Flaming river one seems to have a flat spot with more play when going straight down the road - the Mullins one seems to be right on and more responsive.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"How much did it change the turning radius?

I can not give you a number.  I know there is a difference.  It is not enough that it causes a problem.  I like the way it drives and the ease of steering the car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Ive had vega boxes in my last 3 cars and no problem. I thought they steered fine but they are a little quick. The roadster has a flaming river box too. If i was starting from scratch and didnt have the box then i might try the unisteer.
Dave :wink:

Bib_Overalls

I used an original Vega when I built my roadster.  Put a new sector shaft seal in it but it would not hold grease.  So I bought a Flaiming River and I am happy.  Supposedly they are better built than the originals.  I think that most of the repops on ebay, etc are made in Canada using the original tooling.  The ones I have seen have the Saganaw part number cast in the cover.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks