Gene Ponder Collection auction

Started by alchevy, April 12, 2007, 11:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

I had the chance several years ago in 2005 to view a private collection of cars in Marshall, TX. Well I have learned today that the whole collection will be auctioned off the weekend of April 20-21, 2007. This is the Gene Ponder collection. Here is where you can see the pictures I took: http://www.astreetrodder.com/gpcollection.htm

RM Auctions will be holding the auction on the Ponder estate: http://www.rmauctions.com/Default.cfm?SaleCode=GP07

What a collection!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

58 Yeoman

Hey, thanks for the heads up.  I've always wanted a Dusenberg, and now's my chance.  After I win the bid, maybe Old Town in FL will let me in...you think?

BTW, I'm taking donations now.  For every $50,000 donation, I will send you a picture of the car. :lol:

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

donsrods

What a collection.  At least the guy wasn't hung up on only one make or model, he seemed to love all cars.

Part of me hates to see someone's collection being split up.  It is like someone's dream is coming to an end.  Kinda sad, actually.

Don

alchevy

That Dusenberg would make a nice piece in your collection. It's funny that the car ranks higher in the price than another one that's rare, very rare. The Kaiser-Darin is one of only something like 495 made and there are only 5 known to be in existance today. I have seen two of them, this one and one in the Tupelo Automobile Museum in Tupelo, MS. The car had pocket doors, the only time that was used on a car.

$600,000 - $800,000 is what they think the Dusenberg will go for.
AL
Oh, yeah: To get in to the auction, your ticket is to buy an $80 book that tells about each piece. 60something cars and 1000 pieces of other stuff, very nice other stuff. Read the press annoucement and it sheds some light on why he decided to sell everything. The buildings are neat on their own.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

t-vicky

Not a hot rod in the house. How could he stand it?

Dave

Well he does have a tbird and a corvette.. Thats close
Dave :wink: