What Should I Bring - Repair Kit?

Started by msuguydon, March 26, 2007, 03:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

The "Spare Tire Thread" got me thinking.

If I were to put together a "travel kit" to put in the trunk (or should I call it the hold of the Tuna Boat) what should I put in it.

I am thinking:

Spare Tire
    Jack
    Electrical Tape
    Tool Box
    ATM Card
    Cell Phone
    Mr. Goodwrench, I would prefer Ms. Goodwrench
    What Else ???

Serious Question..
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

river1

Quote from: "msuguydon"The "Spare Tire Thread" got me thinking.

If I were to put together a "travel kit" to put in the trunk (or should I call it the hold of the Tuna Boat) what should I put in it.

I am thinking:

Spare Tire
    Jack
    Electrical Tape
    Tool Box
    ATM Card
    Cell Phone
    Mr. Goodwrench, I would prefer Ms. Goodwrench
    What Else ???

Serious Question..

i'll add

gas can
$100 bill (sometimes creditcards/atm cards won't work)
jumper cables
spare belts
piece of plywood for under the jack in soft conditions
flashlight
test light
full watercan (for yourself or your car)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

I just tried to search and find out what engine it has so come up with some spare parts. But I bombed out! Even though some of us might consider a '58 a "New Car" there are some pieces on it that AAA might have trouble coming up with. Some refreshing might help. What's in it? GPster

sirstude

spare tire in a can
fuse assortment
tie wire
zip ties
electrical wire
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

msuguydon

Quote from: "GPster"I just tried to search and find out what engine it has so come up with some spare parts. But I bombed out! Even though some of us might consider a '58 a "New Car" there are some pieces on it that AAA might have trouble coming up with. Some refreshing might help. What's in it? GPster

350 Small Block Chevy,  vintage 1985
350 automatic tranny
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

alchevy

a can of WD40
5/8" rubber fuel line (or what size fuel line you have)
hose clamps

Sometimes you think just one set of wrenches will do, but think of how many times two wrenches of the same size help out.

Nobody has mentioned DUCT TAPE!

I saw where the bailing wire was on a list.

Electrical connections and a crimper tool

Some basic bolts, nuts, & washers.

How big is that trunk??
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

GPster

The engine conversion could have been done with an old distributor or an HEI. If it was done with a distributor you might carrry a coil. It also could be a long or short water pump. I'd get replacement belts and put the new belts on to make sure they're right and carry the old belts for spares. GPster

Dave

I think your just getting a little anal about this.. I carry a small tool kit some cash (dont tell sue) and a cooler full of cocktail fixins sos i can get hammered while I wait for the dam wrecker..
Only needed a flatbed once. While waiting ior my tranny to be repaired i really got hammered..  :lol: I was on foot  :wink:  Its a hot rod dont worry bout it............
Dave :wink:

phat rat

I carry a few simple tools, fuses, spare belts and a Crossfire dizzy cap because they don't stock them in parts houses. You could pack that big old trunk full of spare parts and sure as shootin if something would go wrong that you didn't have a spare part for. So remember KISS
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I agree with the last two, I carry a basic tool kit, and a roll of tape. I used to do road calls, and I never had to walk down the road more than 50 ft to find what I needed to get it going again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

The reason for the tie wire, is I spit out the clip for my clutch rod on my Impala one day.  You should have seen me trying to unravel some barb wire to use as a new clip.  Got the job done, but a few inches of tie wire would have made the job easier.  Getting rid of the Centerforce clutch got rid of the spitting clips problem.  Still carry a small roll of tie wire though.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

river1

i kinda agree with K.I.S.S. but you have adjust for area that you'll be driving. out here in the desert you could be in real trouble with out some items. cell phone reception is spotty at best out in the des.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

47convert

Pretty complete list, but one thing I'd recommend is to carry your best wrenches. Nothing worse than laying under your car trying to get some cheap tool to do the job.  Learned this from another Rodding Round table Rodder (Thanx George)and it's helped me a few times.

54stude

These things would not take up much room, but would be most likely to fix what would fail.

Distributor with cap and rotor complete
Ignition coil (might be on distributor if HEI)
fuel pump
fuel filter
Alternator rebuild kit
belts
ignition module (if not in distributor)
starter solenoid if you have an automatic trans (no push starts)
Coil wire and 1 long spare plug wire plus 1 spare plug