I like the NASCAR COT.

Started by Carnut, April 01, 2007, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

I like the NASCAR Car Of Tomorrow, I think it's a better deal all around.

The larger, heavier, less aero car is the better way to slow things down and make the competition/entertainment better. The square car looks to be getting back to the 'roots' of a 'Stock Car'. I know NASCAR got away from 'stock car' back in the 60's, or even more accurately, the first race, but I think the new car looks more like what spectators want to see. NASCAR never has been racing for ultimate performance, but just for entertainment.

I think CART/IRL have missed the boat by going down the path of ultimate performance and have just become an american F1 car. I think that NASCAR at indy, shows that spectators want entertainment more than ultimate performance. I think CART/IRL would be bucks ahead to implement a retro indy 'Roadster' series with front engine, 'template' bodied roadsters. Racing for entertainment and TV and not just for performance.

Heck all forms of racing have their 'nostalgia' racing series and there really is a market there. Though I wouldn't consider a 'Roadster' series to be just a nostalgia series anymore than a NASCAR COT is a nostalgia series. It would just be more entertainment for the buck for spectators.

Dave

I cant agree. Its just gonna be another IROC series when its all said and done.  Nascar is going down hill COT or not and has been for quite a while. Too many stupid fines and childish games by the France family. They removed creative thinking from the sport and by thier own admitance they will be taking jobs away with the COT. Sure safety is a big issue and im all for it but while DE was alive he hated restrictor plate racing and as a lot of em did they wanted to go fast and win. Nascar is also killing sponsorships by letting sunoco and nextell whine about the other fuels and cell services advertizing knowing full well sponsors are hard to come by . This as i see it is an easy thing to correct but the france family is afraid os loosing money. Sure you can fine the drivers for giving another driver the bird ( stiupd) but they dont have balls enuff to tell nextel and sunoco how its gonna be. Oh well.. The real stuff (sprints and supers) start here fore long.. Im ready..
Oh ya I kinda forgot where i was going here.. Another thing that grinds my behind. We had meetings last week with a company that came into out work to save us money on auto home bike and possibly eevn street rod insurance. I think ill still be with grundy but they are looking. I was kinda suprised when i got out my stuff for a quote and saw what i give AAA every year. Then turn on the nascar race and whoa theres a car sponsered by AAA. Any idea how much that costs a year? and they still raise my rates... I know.........
Dave
ps: i really dont care for cart i like the IRL and at least they have real race cars... No fenders...........

Dennis the Menace

I do not agree, I think watching NASCAR COT is like watching Tuner cars doing drifting. There is nothing stock about NASCAR any more, all of the cars are the same. I think they should go back to the old days, with the Super Birds and the Taladaga.
Dennis :evil:
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

Carnut

Heh, heh, and here I thought the COT looked like superbirds with shorter wings.

Dennis the Menace

I think the wings on the COT make them look like the Ricers that you see driving down the roads.
Dennis 8)
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

WZ JUNK

I watched some of the race the afternoon and then I dozed off into a nap.  This is the same thing that happens to me when I watched the races last year.  Therefore I can not tell the difference between the COT and the previously raced cars.  They all put me to sleep but it is a good thing.

I do not see a problem with the new car.  It just a little different set of rules and they all run under the same rules.  No different than the old race system.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

EMSjunkie

NASCAR, IRL.......just high-speed follow the leader.

200 mph Billboards.

Dirttrack stock cars, winged sprinters, wingless, don't matter, thats real racin' 8)

I say we throw a little clay on Talladega, water it down for about 2 days, then turn them boys loose.  let 'em dodge a little mud. :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

SKR8PN

NasCrap = IROC

Formula 1 is OK, if you like watching cubic dollar race cars :roll:

Cart and IRL are ALMOST = to IROC, just more expensive :roll:

REAL stock car racing died when the King retired. :wink:

Dirt is where it's at any more   8)  8)
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Dave

Jim you really need to go watch a pavement sprint race :!: Ill bet you a 6 pack that you will change your mind about dirt. Pavement is fast like scary fast. I follow the auto value super sprints and the hoosier series usac and a couple others. Other than last year im usually at eldora for the kings royal dirt race too. In june it the toledo sprint and super modified show. Thats fast on the 1/2 mile.. I kinda had  miss that one last year but even though i was down and out my 2 boys went. I woulda been mad if they didnt. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

bigdude

Newsflash-has'nt been stock cars since the 70's. How many taurus two door with a v/8 "stock" have you seen? How about monte carlos with V/8? To me if they come with a certain engine it would be cool if they raced that engine. The same could be applied to NHRA PS. Cobalt with a 500 ci motor? I wish they would get back to real in that aspect. JMO

Crosley.In.AZ

NASCAR lost me years ago.... and they ain't lookin to find me. LOL

city of Phoenix AZ is going to run one of them races around city streets this fall ....... again.  

They tried this many years ago and it belly flopped !  New elected officials have decided :" It will work this time"

Of course now the streets are torn up for the boon doggle  trolley car & tracks that are being installed.  They call it light rail ...... a disaster by any other name is still a disaster.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

I'll agree with bits and pieces of everything above.  I like the COT.  In my mind it addresses everything fans have complained about for years, from too much aerodynamic dependency to not enough safety.  Virtually every "silouhette" series (stockish body over pure race car chassis) in the world runs splitters and wings so most people should get used to the look without too much trouble.  That said it's about the only thing NASCAR has done right over the last few years.  I like IRL, have been to the last 2 Kansas races & they put on one heck of a show.  A lot of passing & a lot of side by side.  Can't wait to see them on the 7/8 mile in Newton, IA this Summer.  No doubt about it though, the IRL/CART feuding continues to damage all open wheel series in this country.  Dirt makes for awesome racing, IMO the World of Outlaws was prepared to take off like crazy when The Nashville Network was sold to CBS & changed to Spike TV.  WoO needed that TV money to fuel growth and they took a serious step back without it.

All of which is why I consider myself a racing fan as opposed to a NASCAR fan or open wheel fan or something else.  If it goes fast on wheels I'm interested.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Beck

I've been to Bristol, Michigan, and Homestead in the last 2 years. Yes, it was fun. Yes, I'm glad I went. No, I won't go again.
I've been to the Outlaws, Midgets, and Mini-Sprints. Yes, it was fun. Yes, I'm glad I went. I can't wait to go again! Real hot rods don't have fenders, neither do real race cars.
NASCAR is better on TV for me. But on dirt, the TV doesn't do it justice.
I'm not a Stuart NASCAR fan, but put that guy in a midget and he is the king.

Dave

Quote from: "Beck"I've been to Bristol, Michigan, and Homestead in the last 2 years. Yes, it was fun. Yes, I'm glad I went. No, I won't go again.
I've been to the Outlaws, Midgets, and Mini-Sprints. Yes, it was fun. Yes, I'm glad I went. I can't wait to go again! Real hot rods don't have fenders, neither do real race cars.
NASCAR is better on TV for me. But on dirt, the TV doesn't do it justice.
I'm not a Stuart NASCAR fan, but put that guy in a midget and he is the king.

Tony is one hell of a driver. he can drive a sprinter too.. Ive seen him win. He also remembers his roots thats why he bought Eldora.. Ive heard he was looking into other interests too. I wish he woulda bought the pavement track about 20 minutes from me so we could get some good winged and non winged shows back there.. The owners of a track to the north had tony and some other hot shoes up for a race and didnt have an autogrqph session one nascar weekend. We all figured it was a business trip as they owned the one for sale also..
Dave