Window mounting problem

Started by 46 chevy pickup, March 22, 2007, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

46 chevy pickup

Hi GUYS,
I have a 46 chevy pickup, and I extended the cab 12 inchs.
I made two opera  windows from the back of 4 door windows, I wanted
the opera and door windows to match.
My problem is,when I install the window rubber [like on back window]they are not going to match.
Anyone have another way of mounting these window, were they would match

THANKS Bobby(':?')
46 Chevy pickup
46 Chevy extended cab on S-10 under constr.
35 Chevy Master Deluxe 5 window coup project.
If your not going to use your head
You just as well have two butts

Charlie Chops 1940

Please clarify...do you mean that when you install the rubber around the glass the opening looks smaller on the opera windows? Pictures might help.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

tomslik

uerathane and s-10 window moulding maybe?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

The way to do this is to install the opera windows with a butyl strip, gluing it just inside the stainless molding. you can then glue a rubber strip to the inside garnish moldings to hold it all in place.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

alchevy

I have a few friends that have done this to their trucks. One is a '37 Chevy and the other is a '46 Chevy that was done by following what the first guy did. I don't have any inside pictures of these two.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

46 chevy pickup

Charlie chops 1940;
Yes thats what I mean.
Tomslik;
I"m not familiar with the s10 window moulding.
Enjenjo;
That sounds like what i"m looking for.
40 chevy;
That 46 is one fine ride.

Men I thank you for your help
Bobby
46 Chevy pickup
46 Chevy extended cab on S-10 under constr.
35 Chevy Master Deluxe 5 window coup project.
If your not going to use your head
You just as well have two butts

Charlie Chops 1940

Steele Rubber Products ags a nice moulding that I have used in quarter windows. It's for 35-38 Chevies...their P/N70-1191-52. There may be others in their catalog that are similar. Look at their website www.steelerubber.com

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

tomslik

Quote from: "46 chevy pickup"Charlie chops 1940;
Yes thats what I mean.
Tomslik;
I"m not familiar with the s10 window moulding.
Enjenjo;
That sounds like what i"m looking for.
40 chevy;
That 46 is one fine ride.

Men I thank you for your help
Bobby

look at the windshield on an s-10.
it'll become clear...
but it may not be what you want..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

On an s-10m and a lot of hot rods the glass is set in the opening with ribbon sealer. Its a urethane sealer that comes in a roll. You need a lip in the window opening for the glass to set against but on the sealer. I had to use 3/8 diameter and i think (ill look later) 5/16 diamater ribbon sealer to take up the space from the lip plus the thickness of the glass and have the glass level with the opening when set in place. By the way the ribbon sealer is a 3m product. After the glass is set you can go to about any glass shop and buy the moulding like they use on an s-10.. It can be put in place with urethane in a tube or black silicone can be used also. Keep in mind you will need about 1/8 clearence around the glass to install the moulding. I will double check that dimension also. We discussed that a while back on the board here and I found the info some where but i cant remember the exact dimension.
I hope that helps you understand how the s-10 style glass works.
Dave