Engine for my beater 32 roadster

Started by DRD57, May 01, 2004, 10:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I scored this 66 283 from a local high school that is liquidating some old "junk" from the back room.

It looks like it's never been in a car and it looks like it's never been apart. It's as clean as new inside. It even came with the stand.

purplepickup

Sometimes life just don't seem fair.  You got a kick * model A coupe, a 57 caddy, a deuce roadster, single, living in the land of babes, cars and sunshine, and now you cop a brand new crate 283.   You wouldn't be taking applications for a son would you? :D

That engine is a heck of a find.
George

58 Yeoman

So that's where my engine went? :lol:  Nice find. Just goes to prove the theory that deals are still out there.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Uhhhh... Having been in an auto shop class or two, check that over real carefully. There are people out there that do destructive things to shop motors just for laughs. Even if they did, if you find it first, it should be no problem. I could tell you some horror stories.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

I agree with Enjenjo!

We had "new" donated engines in my high-school and college shops. ...Things are not always as they seem!

If it were mine, I'd pull the pan, bearing caps, and rod caps to inspect for scoring, and check clearances with Plastigauge.

I'd even pull the heads and check the cylinder walls for scratches or scoring.

Pull the lifters for inspection.  This engine may have been started "dry" at some time.

All new gaskets and seals, along with new valve guide seals will be worth the investment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "DRD57"I scored this 66 283 from a local high school that is liquidating some old "junk" from the back room.

It looks like it's never been in a car and it looks like it's never been apart. It's as clean as new inside. It even came with the stand.

Before you install it, don't forget to drill and tap the crank snout for a balancer retaining bolt and washer.  Mine threw off the balancer on the first trip, and it was a tough job to do in the car, at the Nationals!