350TH Transmission Information

Started by freddrew, March 18, 2007, 05:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddrew

I bought a 1981 Camero Z28 as a project donor car .  The engine is a rebuilt 1966 Chev 327.  The car has no wiring for the locking torque converter and no neutral switch.  The Transmission appears to be the original 350TH with locking torque converter.  The 4 hole plug on the converter switch has one light green wire coming out of it and a light green plug next to it.  I have looked all over the Roundtable and can only find information listed for the 700R4 Transmissions.  The stamping numbers my transmission are 3641 71 1, 110214-A and in a circle 7, 11, 80.  The letters K and T are weld on the top of the case.

1. Could someone tell me for certain if this is a one wire self grounding transmission.
2.  Which is the "OUT" to radiator cooler line.
3.  The proper wiring layout for the electrical side of things.
Fred

enjenjo

On the left side of the trans, there should be a tag with  a Letter and some numbers on it. Is that present?

How many pins in the plug on the trans?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Most of the early t-350C trans had a pressure switch in the governor circuit. Lock up would happen around 38-40 mph.  Dropping the trans pan will remove all doubt in this question of self grounding pressure switch.

With a t-350C trans it is not necessary for lockup to function as a t-700 trans.  700 trans needs lockup , t-350C does not.

Bottom fitting on the cooler fittings at the case is the pressure "out".  It does not matter which line is hooked up via the radiator or an aux cooler.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

freddrew

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the left side of the trans, there should be a tag with  a Letter and some numbers on it. Is that present?

Fred

freddrew

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the left side of the trans, there should be a tag with  a Letter and some numbers on it. Is that present?

I coudn't find a tag on the tranny.  The plug on the transmission has four holes.  The 2 next to the trans are permanently factory sealed.  The outer one closest to the bell housing has the light green wire coming out of it and the rear one has a removable plug.  Under this cap, there are two pins on the outside two holes and nothing on the inside two.

Fred
Fred

freddrew

Quote from: "Crosley"Most of the early t-350C trans had a pressure switch in the governor circuit. Lock up would happen around 38-40 mph.  Dropping the trans pan will remove all doubt in this question of self grounding pressure switch.

With a t-350C trans it is not necessary for lockup to function as a t-700 trans.  700 trans needs lockup , t-350C does not.

Bottom fitting on the cooler fittings at the case is the pressure "out".  It does not matter which line is hooked up via the radiator or an aux cooler.

If I understand correctly, I just need to feed 12 volts to the green wire through a switch to activate the lockup.  I will be pulling a 17' trailer with this car and thought it might be good to check transmission temperature.  I thought I'd put a "T" in the "OUT" line and use an engine temperature gauge to keep an eye on things.
Fred

enjenjo

Ok, sounds like you have a lock up convertor. If the tag is present, it will tell you the year, and original application. Tony knows more about them than I do, so I'll defer to him.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Hi Fred good to see that you have joined the fray!!!!!

parklane

Quote from: "phat46"Hi Fred good to see that you have joined the fray!!!!!

Ya, just what we need.................another North of the border border :wink:  welcome Fred  What took ya so long??

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "freddrew"

If I understand correctly, I just need to feed 12 volts to the green wire through a switch to activate the lockup.  I will be pulling a 17' trailer with this car and thought it might be good to check transmission temperature.  I thought I'd put a "T" in the "OUT" line and use an engine temperature gauge to keep an eye on things.

You do NOT want a temp gauge on the cooler fitting OUT line.  It will scare your pants off.  That oil is directly out of the converter.

Put a temp gauge in the oil pan of the tranny.

After the trans oil reaches the oil cooler , it is returned to the trans into the lube circuit.  As the oil lubes the trans , it also cools/ removes heat from the trans.  The oil in the pan is a more accurate temp of true operating temp

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)