Ideas for Emergency Brake setup

Started by 54CHEV, March 08, 2007, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54CHEV

I have a 54 chevy pickup that I just installed a 4 link rear with a 10 bolt chevy posi with disk brakes( out of a 79 Traans AM).  Could I get some ideas on how to get the emergency brakes to work.  I would like to install a pedal under the dash..

:wink:

parklane

As far as the incab part, the 54 should have a foot pedal right next to the kick panel, and from there, its all yours.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

You using the calipers with the Ebrake built in?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

54CHEV

I am using the caliper with the builit in e-brake.  There is about a 2 foot cable coming out of each one.  AS far as the pedal assy from the factory a brick in front & behind each tire would be safer..I'm looking for something a little more reliable..

Thanks!!

EMSjunkie

I think Lokar makes an aftermarket under dash pedal assembly.

I saw one somewhere.............. :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

1FATGMC

Quote from: "54CHEV"I am using the caliper with the built in e-brake.  There is about a 2 foot cable coming out of each one.  AS far as the pedal assy from the factory a brick in front & behind each tire would be safer..I'm looking for something a little more reliable..

Thanks!!

I got this brake out of something at the junk yard that had a center mounted brake handle.  Sorry I can't remember what.  

It is the first emergency brake setup I've ever had that you can actually use to stop with.  My master cylinder went out in New Mexico once and I was able to get back home to Utah using it.

It has a cable that goes back to a bracket that catches a cable that is hooked on both ends with cable clamps to the two cables you are talking about.

I like it and like the fact that you can use it.

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

Ok, I wanted to make sure before I suggested any thing. Lokar makes a good setup, you can get them from Speedway at a reasonable price. they have both the handle, and cables seperately.

As far as hooking it up, as I recall one side of that disc setup mounts the cable to the rear, as they use the same caliper on both sides. You'll have to figure out how to mount the cables, and how to connect things up, when you get there, ask again, with a picture or two, and we can get more specific. If you still have the original bell crank in the frame yet, you can use that too.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"Lokar makes a good setup, you can get them from Speedway at a reasonable price. they have both the handle, and cables seperately.

Thats where I saw them :!:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Jokester

The one in the picture by 1FATGMC looks like the one I use.  I've gotten them out of old Vegas and Pintos, almost any year.  

my 2 cents.
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Jokester"The one in the picture by 1FATGMC looks like the one I use.  I've gotten them out of old Vegas and Pintos, almost any year.  

my 2 cents.

Thanks now I know and will add that to my construction page.  The one in the picture is just the way it looked when I got it.

c ya,

Sum

Jokester

Almost forgot, Mustang II is also the same design.  They even come with a little console assembly.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

VW Rabbit has a nice little handle too, with individual cable adjusters built in.

papastoyss

Toyota Avalons also have a foot operated e brake
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!