on updating old rods

Started by chpd46, March 11, 2007, 10:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chpd46

I have had the A PU for sale all over the net w no serious interest for a couple weeks now. I am in a bit of a quandry as I can not drive the thing w my bad legs and hips (stick).
 I looked it over yesterday and it SEEMS that an auto trans will go right in there, and that I could replace the some what bouncy rear suspension w coilovers using the same mounts and eliminating the qtr elip's, but as all changes are, I am sure this will entail some fairly serious changes and missed issues/details.The best idea would probably be a new chassis. The truck has a 60's drag race suspension (1/4 ellipitics ,Air Lift bags w springs , panhard rod + using 36" 1/2 steel ladder bars) It is a 60's survivor and I think it should be kept intact as is. BUT is basically useless as a driver for me that way. Just around the block and a mile drive and back caused me pain. I can just see me after a 100 one way trip. 0___/
 I don't know what I am looking for,maybe opinions or just venting

enjenjo

I am not a restorer, I'm a hot rodder. So I see no problem changing things to suit me. And when somone finds it in a barn in 2050, they will brag about the hot rod they found built OG style back in 2007.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

I agree with Frank, and remember, it is your truck, do what is best for you, and forget the rest.  Cool truck by the way.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chpd46

The guy started an update in 71 or 2 as evidenced by the vega taillights and blackface SW's, so I guess I could just continue his process (vega lights gotta go tho) I'm going to start checking today to see if anyone makes standard shock length coil over shocks , the ladder bars and P rod can remain unchanged I think.

enjenjo

If it kept racing, it most probably would have been converted to auto trans, when they became quicker.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chpd46

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it kept racing, it most probably would have been converted to auto trans, when they became quicker.
this thing had to be a rod or drag truck for quite some time probably even b4 66 I see evidence of different engine setups,would'nt surprise me if it had a Hydro at some point. The front end shows eveidence of being skyborn as well w a pass side shock dented on wheel side and bent bottom radius rod clevises

chpd46

the undercarridge is still dirty from hauling it home 400 mi's in a ice storm, i'll get her cleaned up in spring  :wink: