32 Ford frame

Started by kb426, March 06, 2007, 05:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I don't need to ask about glass cars for awhile. I bought a 32 Ford pickup cab this morning. My question is: who has the best frame for the money? Traditional front axle, either mustang box or vega cross steer, conventional rear, nothing fancy, just functional. Now is the time for you 32 owners to tell me what has worked the best with the least maint. I intend to drive this thing daily.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

IMHO the best way to go is a dropped beam axle, vega cross steer, parallel leafs in the rear. ASC or Dearborn rails with a tubular X-member kit. Lotsa bang for your buck. While not completely traditional it works good. Add other components as you like.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Who do you have weld up the perimeter frame?
TEAM SMART

Dave

Id go coilover on the rear just because its me and i like em.. We did a 32 with leafs 25 years ago and it was fine but i like the clean look of the coilovers better. Now as far as the rest just buy my roadster take the body and make yard art  :lol: Every thing else is ready to paint and assemble . Or ill give you 250.00 for your stuff and ....................... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave

Oh ya seriously.. 4 bar or hairpin front. Id go hairpin and dropped I beam cause tube axles dont work with hair pins. leaf or coil over triangulated 4 bar rear . Vega cross steer and panhard rod. I like street rods by michaels frames. I have one they are strong I like it better than my roadster frame crossmember wise.(its just a looks deal and you will proly never out what i dont like unless i point it out) He will do what ever you want. For a price of course. And i am serious on my stuff . Do some figuring on buying building and Daves junk..  :lol:

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "kb426"Who do you have weld up the perimeter frame?

I'm building my own chassis using Dearborn rails. There appear to be a ton of shops out there selling perimeter frames. Look at 1932 Ford or 32 Ford in eBay Moters as a starter.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Are the Dearborn rails thicker than the ASC? I ran across the Hotrods and Horsepower website and slightly remember the Dearborn deuce company being connected to those rails somehow.
TEAM SMART

Topsterguy

I used the Dearborne rails for my coupe and I liked them better than the AS ones because at the back where the kickup is there are usually "crimps" or wrinkles in the bends on the AS ones and the DB ones are nice and smooth. The DB ones also have the C notch done as part of the stamping. That said, I think if I was doing another one I would get a stage 2 or 3 from  either Chassis Engineering or Cornhusker and go from there. The LAST thing I would do, and I would NEVER do it again, is buy a frame / chassis from TCI ! They can tell you they're the top chassis builders in the world, and they will, but not only did I have a lot of problems with their chassis whan I was building my roadster but so did other guys I know and apparently other guys on the net.  :x
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

rumrumm

Since you are in Kansas, contact Redneck in Achison. You will save a lot if you can simply go pick it up within your own state. I am not familiar with their frames, but they have excellent fiberglass bodies. Check them out at their website: www.redneckstreetrods.com.

I, too, have heard some problemmatic things about TCI. I chose to go with an Outlaw frame since I was getting one of their bodies because they build the body on that frame so there is no need for shimming the body to get the doors right.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Bib_Overalls

I got my chassis from SoCal and I am very pleased.  The only down side was shipping from California was expensive.

I like the buggy spring in back.  I bought the Eaton spring that SoCal sells.  I'm planning to upgrade to a Posie's Super Slider when I go through the car next year.

Friend just bought a Show Me body mounted on a chassis built in Western Missouri.  It is every bit as nice as the one I got from SoCal.  Email me if you are intrested and I will chase down the contact info for you.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks