timing question

Started by speedracer, February 23, 2007, 08:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Unless you are running WOT most of the time, there is no reason to NOT run a vacuum advance.

you will be suprised at how much better it will idle, cruise, and when needed....,.haul azz!!
plus it will run cooler.

I know your engine builder told you you didn't need vacuum advance.
but as far as I know, and its possible that I'm FOS, a street driven engine needs vacuum advance to be streetable.

Vance

Ya know Vance I just threw in the full advance at hi rpm and i really didnt think. And i figured 28 deg was a good starting point. Ok so i assumed that he knew something bout timing. I am glad he got it back to 8 or whatever he said at an idle. Yes do use vacuum advance especially on the street the engine will run smoother and cooler. Ive had this discussion so much that i really kind of shy away from it most of the time. I like to set my timing at hi throttle then run er a abit and see how it acts. Whats gm specs? 28 to 32 or 28 to 34 i ferget but i can find the info if i need it..
Your doing good for an old emt.........
Dave

I'm amazed I can remember at all :oops:
I remember reading Steve Jacks post on timing, it stated that 10-12* "static" or base timing, is a good starting point. I agree with the adjustable vacuum advance, I gots one on my Coupe, makes it handy to "tweak" and fine tune.

I can remember stuff like this, but can;t seem to remember where I put my gas cap spanner wrench :? :shock:

hope Johnny can get it figgered out.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****