50 Chevy front end conversion

Started by kb426, February 19, 2007, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

The only thing on the truck that I'm not happy with is the steering box. I have done a complete frame off on this unit.The original frame has been boxed and k-members added. It has a 9" rear with leaf springs. The front is a Mordrop 3" axle with the SSB stainless needle bearing kingpins. It has granada rotors and brakes adapted to the original spindles. I just don't like the original steering box. It's big, ugly, and not very effective. I'm going to find measurements for the 62 chevy and the mustang box. Short of adapting some kind of rack and pinion to the axle, those choices sound best. With the 3" drop, the front is so low that anything that would be lower than the center of the axle will bit the dust eventually. Thanks for the help, guys.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

What about a saginaw 525 box ?? Looks like a Vega but used in Jeeps & such in the 3200# range......Just a thought........
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I'll look into the 525 box. We're in the middle of a front coming through. 60 mph. winds. Yesterday it was 70 degrees for the first time in months. I took the afternoon off and made a little bike trip. I almost couldn't make it home from the flooding over the highways from the ice and snow!
TEAM SMART