50 GMC pickup p/s pump

Started by Chebby, February 20, 2007, 07:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chebby

Hi all,

A buddy of mine has a '50 GMC pickup with a 235 cid Chevy six. He wants to install a GM power steering pump. He has already converted his generator bracket to hold the 12 volt alternator.

Has anyone already solved this power steering pump installation?

He says the right side is taken up by a radiator hose and other obstructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chebby

enjenjo

I just did this on a 223 Ford 6. I made a new bracket that noved the generator up, and mounted the PS pump below it on the same bracket. there were 4 mounting holes I was able to use on the Ford.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Let me throw some nuts in this mess while he's got tools turning. First, is this a '50 truck 235 (they made a babbit pounding truck engine)? OR Is it a 235 out of an early powerglide equiped car ('51 tp '54)? OR Is it a '55 to '62 car or truck 235? Second, how is the engine mounted , side mounts or cam gear cover mount? There are a lot of strange things that happen here so it might help to know where he's starting. If the engine is cam mounted it's either a babbit pounding engine or at least the front mounts and stuff have been put on a later engine. If the engine has been changed and is now mounted with side mounts then you might have a little bit more leeway on crank and water pump pulleys. I would invision something like Frank's job on that Ford truck but with a minor differance. Pull the alternator off and use the generator/alternator space to mount a power steering pump. Line it up so a belt will run the water pump and power steering pump off the crank with the power steering pump able to adjust/tighten the belt. Now for the alternator. It would be the least strain on the system so mount it so it can be run with a short belt off any of the other components that can be or has been equiped with a double pulley. I know that the early water pumps had a pressed-on cast iron pulley but maybe some after '55 had a bolt on pulley that can be doubled, Some power steering pumps had a double pulley and maybe you could use the second groove to run the alternator belt. If the engine is mounted front and center ( even with early parts on a later engine ) I believe they recommend using the early crank pulley so I have no idea what you'd get into finding a double pulley there. This is not something I've done but these are ideas that I formed when faced with that need. You might do some investigating around a "Stove Bolt" site because some of the early cars had power steering of sorts on the 235s and they would have had to use some kind of pump. Also maybe early Corvettes? The parts wouldn't be cheap but maybe the ideas would be. Also, did some manufacturer use a gererator with a power steering pump run off the end of the armature. Glad this isn't CHAT night, my fingers are tired. GPster