GM column shift parts

Started by UGLY OLDS, February 19, 2007, 07:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"The pin is .219 D, the knurled part is .228 D, the length overall is 1.390

Thanks for the info Frank...Did the pin you measured the knurl at .228 show any wear in that area or did it still have a pretty healthy knurl?? I may be on to some..If so I 'll get you some also...Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "enjenjo"The pin is .219 D, the knurled part is .228 D, the length overall is 1.390

Thanks for the info Frank...Did the pin you measured the knurl at .228 show any wear in that area or did it still have a pretty healthy knurl?? I may be on to some..If so I 'll get you some also...Bob...

Yes it was tight, out of a motor home column. I actually had to drive it out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Just a heads up on what will NOT work...The correct pin is GM # 3793014. This measures exactly the same as in Frank's post above...Got one at the local Chevy emporium, ( $8.73 !!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock: ) took the little devil home hoping to resolve the issue...My old pin measures .220 at the knurl so I thought I was home free...Turns out the area in the shift housing where the knurl locks the pin in is showing some wear so the new pin only "sorta" locked in place... :(   Soooooooooo....I took the old pin & "staked " it in the knurled area with a center punch to slightly "raise" the knurled area in three places around the pin...Put it back in ..( force fit this time...Had to use a stick with iron on the end) , & VOLIA..Problem hopefully resolved..Thanks again for all the help & ideas...Bob   :D  :D
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Just a heads up on what will NOT work...The correct pin is GM # 3793014. This measures exactly the same as in Frank's post above...Got one at the local Chevy emporium, ( $8.73 !!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock: ) took the little devil home hoping to resolve the issue...My old pin measures .220 at the knurl so I thought I was home free...Turns out the area in the shift housing where the knurl locks the pin in is showing some wear so the new pin only "sorta" locked in place... :(   Soooooooooo....I took the old pin & "staked " it in the knurled area with a center punch to slightly "raise" the knurled area in three places around the pin...Put it back in ..( force fit this time...Had to use a stick with iron on the end) , & VOLIA..Problem hopefully resolved..Thanks again for all the help & ideas...Bob   :D  :D

They also wear at the bottom of the pin not just in the knurled area. So beware of that.  Ive had em that were cracked also and the only way to repair em was buy a new housing.
Dave