Need help identifying a tilt steering column

Started by Canuck, February 06, 2007, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Getting ready to modify a Chevy tilt column for the A. Would like to try and identify what year and what it can out of if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Tilt column with "4 way flasher switch"
Quadrant has P R N D L2 L1
Overall length 39"

Has sticker with 7DZ 7827343 on column tube
Floor boot rubber is embossed with 3970856 ABC 3

Was suppose to have been out of a GM van.

Thanks for the help guys.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

Deuce

Quote from: "Canuck"

Tilt column with "4 way flasher switch"
Quadrant has P R N D L2 L1

Canuck

If it looks like the above column ... it is a safe bet that it came from a Chevrolet/GMC van ...
I try to always use one of these in my 32 Ford projects ...
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

46 fordpickup

From what you described i would say it was pre 1980 if there is not a key on the column Also if it has the gear indicator it most probabl;y is from a g van [full size van].here is some tips that may help you. If you are using a column shift and where you exit the firewall is tight to the engine you can use an astro van column .The little arm the rod connects to comes off the other side of the colunn .there is also a u joint that  connects to the column that you can also use on the astro vans.Most gm columns have wiper switch on them except cutlass . there switch is on the dash.If you use a gm column with integral wiper switch with pulse wipers and can somehow modify the astro wiper motor to your vehicle you will gain pulse wipers and the wiring is as simple as matching the colours on the motor harness with the ones on the switch and powering the white wire. this motor also runs at a slower speed than most so it is benifficial with the shorter blades on most rods.