Ring gap position?

Started by oldmanolds, February 01, 2007, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Interesting story Franz, as I to would have had a tendency to agree with model a vette. Probably just an assumption, so for years I shied away from thick stuff. Apparently it's a "old wives tale" and a incorrect conclusion. Thanks to you and kb426 for sharing and passing on some first hand knowledge.....................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

46 fordpickup

hey all hope i'm posting this right 1 st time here .I see alot of you are experienced and i hope you don't get your shorts in a bunch when i say this .I too recomend  lubriplate  especially if you are working on an engine with an external oil pump [3.8 buick] you will need to pack the pump to create enough suction to draw the oil out of the pan.Also additives like slick 50 should never be used for rings as it will not allow the rings to break in properly.I perfer to use engine oil or trans fluid .Anyway thats my two cents .
]

slocrow

Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "slocrow"Interesting story Franz, as I to would have had a tendency to agree with model a vette. Probably just an assumption, so for years I shied away from thick stuff. Apparently it's a "old wives tale" and a incorrect conclusion. Thanks to you and kb426 for sharing and passing on some first hand knowledge.....................Frank

White Lube goes back a LONG way...One of the journeyman I apprenticed under,( back when "under head valves" were still in fashion) , used white lube on everything...The best thing was his method of verifying rod & main bearing clearance...During assembly,he would place a 3/8" square piece of newsprint ,(like a postage stamp), on the journal & torque to spec...If the journal locked up with the newsprint installed & turned free when it was removed he was satisfied..The engines he built were never test fired in our shop..They were strapped to pallets & delivered to the local airport to be shipped to various airline terminals around the world to be used in baggage "Tugs". There was no opportunity to repair a "comeback"..It was processed as a "charge-back" ,(ie:$$$), & he never had one during the three years I spent with him....If this sounds a little "Flintstone" , measure a piece of newsprint...To this day it averages about 0.0015 ...Very close to most mfg "preferred" clearance..... :shock:  :shock:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

river1

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"If this sounds a little "Flintstone" , measure a piece of newsprint...To this day it averages about 0.0015

not any more, at least at the paper i work at. we recently switched to a thinner paper that saves the company dimes while costing a dollar as the quality of the color ads have gone down and it breaks easier which causes downtime and as you know time is money.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.