Check this out

Started by Dave, February 02, 2007, 07:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Im putting this link here cause it seems thst some users havent found the other forums yet :wink:  This is off the hamb about barrett jackson..
Interesting.
Dave
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159345

WZ JUNK

I took a pro street Ford truck to one of those auctions once.  Like a fool I drove it up onto the turntable myself.  I really could not see what was going on because I was spinning around with the turntable.  Everything happens real fast especially when you are new to the game.  When the last bid was taken it was less than I thought I wanted to take for the truck and I told them it was a no sale.  A few minuets later I changed my mind and I went to one of their representatives and told them I would take the highest bid for the truck.  They checked their data and told me that there was no high bid as their man had been doing the bidding or the auctioneer was taking bids out of the air.  I was a little upset by this.   The fellow told me to read the contract that I signed when I placed the truck in the auction.   The contract states that they can act as my agent to help get the highest price possible.   It worked out okay for me because I later traded the truck for a 36 Ford that was a much better vehicle.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Okiedokie

Speaking of other forums, my computer was in the hospital for a week with a virus and upon it's return I can not seem to find hotrodder.com. The one with the good "Bulletin Board" on tech stuff. Anyone offer any insight here? Joe

Uncle Bob

This thing has been makin' the rounds the past few days.  It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't written by Keith Martin himself as a revenge piece since he got canned from his Speed gig. If it's true, and there's evidence, we'll see a court case, if not this same "article" will pop up every year around this time.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Speaking of other forums, my computer was in the hospital for a week with a virus and upon it's return I can not seem to find hotrodder.com. The one with the good "Bulletin Board" on tech stuff. Anyone offer any insight here? Joe

there are two sites:

www.hotrodders.com

www.hotrodder.com

having problems with both , one ?

the letter about B/J  , when I see information in other locations around the internet then I will believe it.

On the flip side of that ; I do  believe some of the cars did not receive the proper length of 'block time' if there is such a clause in the contract.

A 'shill bidder" in the crowd at B/J ???  I have no doubt there are such folks there.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

Thanks Tony, it was the "s" that was evading me. Uncle Bob, you ok?

slocrow

I'm not sure where they broke a law. The writer mentions that you make BJ your agent in the contract. If the seller can prove he didn't get his 3 minutes and that more time would have been beneficial, then maybe he has a point for legal ramification. I bet that the same contract also has a loss limit clause, not to exceed the 8% seller commission.
As far as a shill in the crowd, driving up prices or setting new highs for unsuspecting future buyers, oh well, it's all part of the game as I see it.
I have long suspected collusion at these auctions between Corvette resellers, moving cars between themselves with the specific purpose of driving the future prices higher. That practice just drives me out of that market, it doesn't make the presumed value higher for me.
Ya still gotta love the showmanship whether it's cars or snake oil...................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Uncle Bob, you ok?

Probably depends on who you ask. :lol:

I look okay to me! :?
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.