Chrome on Non-metallic Items?

Started by Bruce Dorsi, January 25, 2007, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

In another thread, Hotrod47 wrote:

"You could buy the plastic/ fiberglass one and I have a friend that can "paint" it chrome. He sprays anything from wood to metal to import car front bumpers and small dash knobs etc in chrome. It actually looks really nice."

Is anyone familiar with this process?  .....I'd like to learn more about it.

I understand it is a cold process, and requires no dipping or buffing to get a very good chrome appearance.

Supposedly it is durable enough to be used on exterior or interior parts, and is suitable for use on metallic, or non-metallic, items.  ......Pot-metal parts which disolve in acid baths can safely be chromed with this process.

Imperfections can be filled with Bondo and smoothed before the coating is applied.  ....The coating does not need to be rubbed out, so the smoother the prep is done, the better the finished item will be.

The process is not the same as the vacuum metalizing process which model car kits utilized for the chrome pieces.

Is there a name for the process?  ....How is it done? .....How does it hold up?    .....Is it expensive?  

:shock:  .... I know, lots of questions!    ....Thanks for any info offered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Dave

I just watched a program the other day.. Ummm the one with legendary motorcars out od canada on it they showed a chroming process where they clear coated it then stuck it in a chamber where it was prolly a vaccum and that made the stuff stick to it then it was removed and clear coated again? I think the process in the other thread is the new chrome paint they have. I used to have the link bookmarked but i cant find it at least no on this laptop..
Dave

Found it try here
http://www.alsacorp.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

I thought he was referring to actual paint, they make stuff now that you can spray on that kinda resembles chrome......and I use the term "resembles" cuz everyone will know the difference and it just makes the item look cheap in my opinion.....like the old rear bumper on Big Olds which I sprayed silver till I could afford "real" chrome.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Grandadeo

I know there is/was a shop in Tallahasse, Florida that chrome plates non-metal stuff like fiberglass grille shells.  Our own dearly departed Pete/Cassa J had the grille on his gold '33 roadster done there.  Don't think that's really what you are looking for but its all I can offer on the subject.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

HOTROD47

For anyone who is interested I can put you in touch with my friend. His name is Mike Miranda. He runs Lucky's Chrome Shop here in CT.

This is all done with paint. It is not like PPG or Dupont. I don't off the top of my head know the company name but it is not a product that the average guy can go to a local auto paint supply store and buy. There is a lot of training that goes along with it. I have seen what he has done and it is really cool. While the quality is not quite the same as sending something to Advanced Chrome plating. You have to understand that it is just paint. However, I think most hot rodders would be amazed what he can do. I have sen him do everything from the hubcaps on his shoebox custom ( yes he is a car guy) to bolling pins to a wood mallet. He is able to chrome things that you would otherwise not be able to do.
Copper Hill Rod & Custom

tom36

Check out this site http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_prodinfo.htm
 I think this is the product that hotrod47 is talking about.  I saw some things that Luckys Chrome shop has done and it is pretty authentic looking.  it would be excellent on plastic dash parts and I would think a cheaper alternative on pitted diecast stuff.  You could grind and fill the pits with f/glass or plastic and have this product sprayed on.  Tom..

tom36

I should have read jusjunks reply better as he already had the Alsa site on there.  However, here is Luckys site- http://www.luckyschromeshop.com/default.asp
 Alsa site has some videos of the product being used.  Tom...

HOTROD47

I forgot that he had the web site...thanks for posting the link.

This is not Alsa paint. I have seen that. And while it is ok it has a grayish shading to it.
Copper Hill Rod & Custom

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks for all your responses!

After doing more research, it appears ALSA's MirraChrome and House of Kolor's Kosmic Krome are leading contenders in this field.

I also see that Eastwood is advertising a product they call Liquid Chrome.  .....It appears to be a similar product, but I'm sure they're just selling someone else's product under the Eastwood name.

While it is certainly not to my taste, apparently Lexus thought enough of the ALSA MirraChrome to use it for this purpose:

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/lexus/pimped-out-chrome-lexus-is250-at-aussie-motor-show/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

I was just at the powder coaters, and he was showing me some parts coated in a new powder he is experimenting with. It looks like it's between chrome, and polished aluminum in appearance, comparing to other parts he has there.

He also mentioned that you can use metal based fillers to repair parts for powder coating, which I knew, but the he said he has a couple customers that have the parts vacuum metalised after the powder. So that is another option.

I have also seen parts that were vacuum metalised with copper, and use that for a base for chrome plating.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.