Electrical Wiper Motor Replacements - Aftermarket

Started by msuguydon, January 22, 2007, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Pulled the electric wiper motor out of my car this weekend, 58 chevy, the motor and the transmission are both shot.

I have found a source that can get me a re-built original, are there places selling non-original wiper motors?

I am running a 12 volt system.  I checked out Newport Eng, they have a replacement but it costs more than a rebuild.

Thanks
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

If it was me i think id opt for the rebuilt origonal stuff. The newport and others sell good stuff but its not gonna be a bolt in. I remember when i was 16 and had a 56 chevy and i was gonna change the vaccum motor to a 57 electric and i fouled up the transmission big time as in i didnt know the cables crossed till it went oops.. :lol:  :lol:  Now that kids was a learning sperience id rather forget but ya know what :?:  I got all back together and it worked great :!:  I learned a lot on that car.. Big back seat  :wink:  Ha Ha ..
ok im done
Dave :!:

phat rat

Quote from: "jusjunk"If it was me i think id opt for the rebuilt origonal stuff. The newport and others sell good stuff but its not gonna be a bolt in. I remember when i was 16 and had a 56 chevy and i was gonna change the vaccum motor to a 57 electric and i fouled up the transmission big time as in i didnt know the cables crossed till it went oops.. :lol:  :lol:  Now that kids was a learning sperience id rather forget but ya know what :?:  I got all back together and it worked great :!:  I learned a lot on that car.. Big back seat  :wink:  Ha Ha ..
ok im done
Dave :!:

why do you think the Newport wouldn't be a bolt in? The one I bought from them for the cpe was.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

It actually is a bolt in to a 58 chevy, but you need to use the original cables. So that part of it has to be servicable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

Quote from: "enjenjo"It actually is a bolt in to a 58 chevy, but you need to use the original cables. So that part of it has to be servicable.

I do not have the cables, the car as I got it had an electric motor with steel arms, no cables.. I think the rebuild is the way to go.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

WZ JUNK

I am going to use one of the gear drive units on the 54 that I am building.  The motor can be placed in different locations and it comes with the transmissions.  The 54 wiper motor was on the engine side of the cowl and I have this thing about smooth firewalls so I am changing out the whole wiper system.  

I am a fan of Newport Wipers and if they had a system like I want, I would buy theirs.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Leon

I used a system from Raingear on my 54 and the thing I like the most is it gets the motor inside the car under the dash and I get interval wiping.  It was one of the systems that came with the motor, metal transmission arms, shafts, and control.  It works much better than the original, even after I put an electric motor from a 55 in it.