59 Rambler Update and AMC 401 build up

Started by Gambler, January 18, 2007, 06:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambler

sadly, the 401 is going in my 78 Jeep J10 :D

Well, still haven't moved on the Rambler, but I did take steps to make it legal. See, I didn't get a title with it when I bought it, and that's the main reason I haven't started work on it yet. I talked to the local DMV inspector, and he said he'd clear me for a bonded title through the state if it passed a BASIC safety inspection..lights, signals, horn, and 4 tires with air..even without an engine! Just have to wire all those systems (besides the tires..lol) to a battery. So that's a big load off my back and I'm going to start my parts gathering.  Still undecided on drivetrain..if I part out my 68 Jeep J3000, I may use the nice 327 in that with a 4 barrel intake I have, and an AMC automatic, or I may go cheap and go chevy. I have major framerail rust on the front behind the drivers side tire that needs fixing first.  So that's that. Since the car is at my house now, I'm starting tear down this summer for a break of working on the Jeeps and start floorboard repair and fighting rust on the unibody frame (it has a partial unibody, and needs some stiffening/recovery).

401 Build:
I scored a NICE 75 AMC 401 that was stock, well cared for, and QUIET. Upon dropping the oil pan, found bearing material in the oil pickup. Now, some people would have shrugged that off, and put the pan back on. Glad I didn't..found I had multiple munched cam bearings. May have happend when we started the beast up (75 Jeep Wagoneer) and drove it home after it had been sitting for a few years. Anyways, this is the parts list, all of it has arrived besides some small items, which are enroute.

Offenhauser intake
motorcraft 4350 4 barrel carb
Maddog (clevite) 270d cam, lifters
New cam bearing
New Clevite P series crank bearings
Bulltear HRC oil gears and midplate
Boltlocker stainless bolt kit
electric waterpump (if I win it on ebay)
dual remote oil filter setup
cloyes double roller timing set

your typical shadetree build eh? I know it's not a 'dream' list, but I'm excited to hear this motor run again..once rebuilt!  Both Bulltear and Mad Dog were great to deal with, and I'd *really* reccommend Boltlocker.com for engine fastener kits.

GPster

You and tomslik need to get together. GPster

Gambler

Quote from: "GPster"You and tomslik need to get together. GPster

i dropped the gentleman a pm.  :wink:

tomslik

Quote from: "Gambler"
Quote from: "GPster"You and tomslik need to get together. GPster

i dropped the gentleman a pm.  :wink:

"gentleman"!?!?!?
i think not........

pm'd ya