newest project

Started by phat rat, November 22, 2006, 03:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Well I've been contemplating this for 3 years and now I've got to work on it. My car trailer was a 16 footer that I have for some time felt was too small so, I'm adding 8 ft to it. In the process it goes from tandem 3500# axles w/single axle 10" brakes to tandem 6000# axles w/tandem 12" brakes. As far as new axle placement I only have to move one axle what was the front axle location will now be the rear axle location. The rule of 1" behind bed center for every foot of trailer bed length gives me an axle center that would only 3" forward of what I'll have doing it this way. The pics show how I offset the cuts and also the sleeves I'm putting in the tubing so that I'm not just relying on butt welds. The sleeves are 1/8" and 2 ft long. This is what I accomplished yesterday a.m. Just thought of something, anyone wondering how I'm going to get the center rails in,  the back was pushed up to the front only for these pics.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

You going to mount a tool box on the front?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"You going to mount a tool box on the front?

He is gonna mount a * house..
Dave
uh oh......... :oops:

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"You going to mount a tool box on the front?

Sort of, a 40" semi sleeper. No motel bills when parts chasing.

kb426

Just in case you don't know: if you're going to use Torflex axles, they are designed to run at 75% or more loaded capacity. Much less and they will beat your load to pieces going down the road.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Quote from: "kb426"Just in case you don't know: if you're going to use Torflex axles, they are designed to run at 75% or more loaded capacity. Much less and they will beat your load to pieces going down the road.

Just using regular spring axles

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "phat rat"The rule of 1" behind bed center for every foot of trailer bed length gives me an axle center that would only 3" forward of what I'll have doing it this way.  

For a tandem axle trailer, is the axle center measured to the front axle, or to the midpoint between the two axles?

Thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

phat rat

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "phat rat"The rule of 1" behind bed center for every foot of trailer bed length gives me an axle center that would only 3" forward of what I'll have doing it this way.  

For a tandem axle trailer, is the axle center measured to the front axle, or to the midpoint between the two axles?

Thanks!

center of the two

phat rat

Been sluffing off a bit, but I've got it this far now. The piece sticking up near the front is a headache rack to protect the sleeper. It's slid into tubes and held in place by 2 bolts so it's easily removable. I finished putting the deck on before I hung it up tonight. The one pic shows the 3/8 plate that's also over each joint on both sides.

Crosley.In.AZ

the trailer is gonna be a heavy one.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

Quote from: "Crosley"the trailer is gonna be a heavy one.

It's going to tip the scales around 3,000# was 1900#+ as a 16 footer. I've hauled just about everything on it, including a couple of F-5's and one of those had a dump bed on it. My truck has the balls to haul it, I've got a Silverado 2500 HD with the 8.1/Alison in it. It does fine hauling our 30 TT through the Rockies so I sure don't anticipate any problems hauling this trailer.

phat rat

Well I've got to here on it now, almost ready for primer and paint. Just need to go over everything to make sure all the welds are done

Charlie Chops 1940

First class Jackson!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

It sure looks long..... have fun , be safe.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

moparrodder

It's lookin good and will be really cool with the sleeper on it 8)

Bill