Good cleaning solvent??

Started by oldmanolds, December 29, 2006, 10:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanolds

What is the best cleaning solvent for cleaning old varnished greasy engine parts.Going to have the engine hot cleaned but need something for the pistons crank,cam,oil pump...yada,yada,yada.oldmanolds
GETTING OLD SUCKS..BUT IT SURE BEATS THE ATERNATIVE.     www.stophd.org

enjenjo

I use mineral spirits. Some of the water solubile cleaners work good too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

you're going to reuse the old oil pump and cam? If I were taking it down that far I'd at least replace the pump
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

oldmanolds

I'm not going to use the oil pump just the pick up.I don't know about the cam yet haven't got that far. oldmanolds

EMSjunkie

If you are near a Harbor Freight outlet, they gots some killer stuff that is water soluable, works great.  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

oldmanolds

I usually use a product called Chem-Dip it works if you soak the parts for about 24 hours.Trouble is, it's $20.00 a gallon.Thats kind of pricey if clean a lot of parts. oldmanolds

40 Chev

I use TSP Tri-Sodium Phosphate desolve it in hot water and brush away then rinse with plain water, it works great for greasy stuff.

purplepickup

To get the really grungy stuff off I use kerosene and a good brush.   I let the tub of dirty kerosene sit a week or two and the crap settles out then I pour the somewhat clean kerosene off the top to be used again for something else.  

I finish cleaning the parts in the solvent tank with mineral spirits.  Pre-cleaning keeps the solvent tank fairly clean.
George

kb426

Is there some reason you don't put all the iron parts in the engine vat?
TEAM SMART

oldmanolds

Good question.I'll ask the guy that going to do my block. oldmanolds