T-5 speeds behind a SBC

Started by Topsterguy, January 04, 2007, 01:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey All!  I'm still hunting for a T-5 to put behind the 350SBC in my 32 roadster. I've tried to find a world class one out of an S-10 that had a 4.3 V-6  but they seem to be rare!? Has anyone used a T-5 out of a Camaro, and if so how'd it work out? I heard they wouldn't work for a few reasons, but also that you could change the tail shaft to one out of an S-10. Waddyathink!?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

jaybee

You can put the S10 tailshaft on the Camaro trans.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Change to an S10 shifter and you are in,
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40_Tudor

OK let me try this again. I think my reply got lot in cyberspace.
I have a T5 behind my 305 TPI in my 40. They are out of an 87 Iroc. The only problem I have is rear tires smoke a lot. ........ :wink:
I had a little trouble getting the hydraulic clutch to work but I got that solved.
The S10 tail shaft is a little shorter and puts the shifter a few inches forward if you need to. I've also seen a shifter that can be relocated forward a few inches. The shifter location worked out just right on my 40. All depends what your putting it in and how far back you locate the engine.
Other than that no problems. Relative speaking.

Topsterguy

Well that sounds fine to me - I just heard that there was some weird mounting problems etc, but the camaro ones seem like they'd be a bit more skookum.........................right??
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

One thing about the camaro shifter, they are bent to the left about 15 degrees, because the trans was rotated to the right in the car. Not a big deal, you can replace it with a straight stick, or rebend the original.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy