Another Crosley Question

Started by entodad, December 25, 2006, 01:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

MC
I've been rebuilding a couple of TH-350's.  While torqueing the pump into the case, two of the bolts pulled the threads...
Torque wrench was set at 20 ft-lbs as per the book
Question: Is heli-coiling the threads acceptable? and is the threads pulling on these trannys common? or is the torque spec. just plain wrong?

Also,
next up is another 700r4, how difficult or doable is changing the gear/tailhousing from an early 700r4 with the mechanical speedo with a 90 model tranny?  This is going in my 67 camaro convertible and I need a mechanical speedo.

Thanks in advance
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "entodad"MC
I've been rebuilding a couple of TH-350's.  While torqueing the pump into the case, two of the bolts pulled the threads...
Torque wrench was set at 20 ft-lbs as per the book
Question: Is heli-coiling the threads acceptable? and is the threads pulling on these trannys common? or is the torque spec. just plain wrong?

I heli-coil this stuff often,  be careful with the drill motor & tap to NOT break out the side wall of the case area.  I use 17 lb ft torque.

Thread pulling is common, many people over torque the bolts.

Quote from: "entodad"
Also,
next up is another 700r4, how difficult or doable is changing the gear/tailhousing from an early 700r4 with the mechanical speedo with a 90 model tranny?  This is going in my 67 camaro convertible and I need a mechanical speedo.

Thanks in advance
Doug

visit my page:

http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/700spd.htm

photos and explained , to convert to mech speed-O from electronic..

READ the information so you install the gear clip into  the correct hole

:idea:   :!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

entodad

WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)