Charging problem

Started by speedracer, January 16, 2007, 01:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Hey guys I got one for ya!  My battery keeps running down, the volt meter fluxuates, reading 8-9 volts which cause my lights to go dim and then it will (volt meter) jump up to 12 volts (never higher) and of course the lights get brighter.
So I figured well its the altanator thats bad, wrong, replaced it with no results.  Bought a new red top battery and cables and nothing has changed!  Its a one wire altnator.  What am I doing Wrong??
Please help----------johnny

rumrumm

See if your alternator is putting out the voltage that it should. It may be defective.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

speedracer

Quote from: "rumrumm"See if your alternator is putting out the voltage that it should. It may be defective.
Hey Lynn
Good to hear from ya, I've been so busy taking care of my wife I haven't been on the net in months!
Yea the alternator is putting out around 14 volts but the gauge in the car says 9.  Its a brand new unit 100 volt one wire.  This one really has got me stumped!    john

EMSjunkie

Good Ground?

engine grounded to frame?

steel body elky, right?

pokin' and hopin' Johnny :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

speedracer

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Good Ground?

engine grounded to frame?

steel body elky, right?

pokin' and hopin' Johnny :?

Vance
Ground?  Well I know the ground wire on the battery is grounded to the head but as far as the engine it self, I don't know that!
Never thought about I guess, reckon I better check!  This problem seems so simple or atleast I thought.  Vance the volt meter, is that wired directly from the battery or where?  I got those el cheapo sun pro gauges in a 3 pod long side the drivers door they look cool but I don't trust them much, but I was and still am hurting for money when I bought them.
Yeah 1 wire alternator, you would think it can't be that hard to figure out.
Ground seems about the only thing it could be now that I think about it, right?
john

rumrumm

To test the ground theory, try running a ground wire from the negative post of your battery directly to the alternator case and see if that makes a difference.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

model a vette

The voltmeter should be wired so it only has power when the ign switch is on. Positive side to the ign switch and the other side to ground.
Ed

GPster

An ampmeter works just by the flow of electric but a voltmeter has got to have a good ground and if the battery ground goes to the engine and there is just a resistants ground to the body that could be what's giving you your lower voltage. Also your lights work off a body ground which can be under resistance from a chassis ground which is not as good as your engine ground because bodies are mounted on rubber. There also might be a lot of decoratinve plastic in your dash. A wire from the engine to the gauge might help the gauge read better but if the body ground is iffy then it's going to seak additional ground through the wire to the gauge so that wire might get hot if it's just the size to run the gauge. There is a lot of ideas about which gauge is better but maybe the best thing would be to have both: Properly installed. GPster

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "model a vette"The voltmeter should be wired so it only has power when the ign switch is on. Positive side to the ign switch and the other side to ground.

Yep, what he said. 8)

bad or poor ground can cause alot of problems. :x

learned that from wirin' up a 'glass Coupe.

I hate electrical problems.
Good luck.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

speedracer

Quote from: "GPster"An ampmeter works just by the flow of electric but a voltmeter has got to have a good ground and if the battery ground goes to the engine and there is just a resistants ground to the body that could be what's giving you your lower voltage. Also your lights work off a body ground which can be under resistance from a chassis ground which is not as good as your engine ground because bodies are mounted on rubber. There also might be a lot of decoratinve plastic in your dash. A wire from the engine to the gauge might help the gauge read better but if the body ground is iffy then it's going to seak additional ground through the wire to the gauge so that wire might get hot if it's just the size to run the gauge. There is a lot of ideas about which gauge is better but maybe the best thing would be to have both: Properly installed. GPster
Thanks Mr GPster!  In the morning I'll ground the engine out to the frame, I got a extra long ground cable that's been hanging on my wall just waiting to be used.  Guess I'll just make sure that its clean and secured tightly.  Hopefull I can find a spot to do it but if not I'll just brake out the drill!!!!
I think its got to be a ground problem------so till tomorrow yall hav e a good nite! and Thanks, johnny

speedracer

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "model a vette"The voltmeter should be wired so it only has power when the ign switch is on. Positive side to the ign switch and the other side to ground.

Yep, what he said. 8)

bad or poor ground can cause alot of problems. :x

learned that from wirin' up a 'glass Coupe.

I hate electrical problems.
Good luck.

Vance
yeah like I was telling gpster, I'll ground that puppy out and see what happens, thanks to RumRum and you I bet I can whip this one.
Thanks again, john

Bruce Dorsi

In addition to adding the ground from the engine to the frame, it doesn't hurt to run another ground from the engine or frame to the firewall.   ....In fact, that may be very beneficial.    

Chevy used to use braided copper straps from the valve cover bolts to the firewall.  ....They must have considered them important, because they often used one from each valve cover!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

speedracer

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"In addition to adding the ground from the engine to the frame, it doesn't hurt to run another ground from the engine or frame to the firewall.   ....In fact, that may be very beneficial.    

Chevy used to use braided copper straps from the valve cover bolts to the firewall.  ....They must have considered them important, because they often used one from each valve cover!
Thanks Bruce, come to think about it I remember seeing those too, which got me thinkin (very dangerous for me) it also help the rest of the engine components like the MSD box, distribtor etc...
I'll get on this tomorrow and let everybody know the results.
Later, johnny