alternator question and the GTech proSS

Started by speedracer, December 15, 2006, 11:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Hi guys, been away for awhile.  Hey got a question, yesterday I noticed my head lights where getting dimmer and the volt meter is now reading 9.5 volts.  Is there a test I can do to check out the alternator and battery?
Also has anyone got one of those GTECH PRO SS it's like a mini dyno measureing HP, torque, 1/4 mile et and speed?  Been thinking about buying one.  They say just plug it into the cigarette lighter and go !  The cost is 200.00.  Thanks guys, johnny

Okiedokie

I rely heavily on a load tester for this. Will test battery voltage, it's ability to withstand load and also show charging system status. Seems like I bought one of mine at Harbor Freight for maybe $10.00. Joe

speedracer

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"I rely heavily on a load tester for this. Will test battery voltage, it's ability to withstand load and also show charging system status. Seems like I bought one of mine at Harbor Freight for maybe $10.00. Joe
Thanks Joe!
Harbor freight is only a mile from me,
johnny

sedanman

If you have a small hand held meter test the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should read 14+ volts. Anything less will run your battery down. You can buy a meter at Harbor Freight for $5.00.

sedanman :)

claus_v

Also has anyone got one of those GTECH PRO SS it's like a mini dyno measureing HP, torque, 1/4 mile et and speed?  Been thinking about buying one.  They say just plug it into the cigarette lighter and go !  The cost is 200.00.  Thanks guys, johnny[/quote]

I got one - both the former G-Tech Pro and the new one.
Choose the model RR so you can down - eh up load all the runs to your computer, so you can compare runs. Including brake -lengths too
Claus
Ur-quattro 83; 034 Motorsport ECU 560 Hp.