Enjenjo! Hammerform?

Started by Nick32Vic, April 20, 2004, 10:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick32Vic

Hey Frank,

Since this place is new and Improved, does that mean that the hammerform tech you made for me is gone?  :cry:

I sure hope its not cus i need that thing pretty soon for my cowl vent!
This friend of mine gave me all his mechanisms to have a Working cowl vent. Now all i need is the actual "lid" for it. lol

I was wanting to go back and re read and look over your Hammer Form tech so i could do it. But i got all confused when i realised this place has changed.

Thanks,
Nick

enjenjo

I'll see what I can do Nick. If you had been here saturday for the trailer build, you could have seen me make a form , and hammer out the ends for the roll pan.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

I thought about that tech article when I saw you making those end pieces on Saturday!

Sure is a slick way to make a small panel in a hurry!  8)
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

rooster

Quote from: "Nick32vic"Hey Frank,

Since this place is new and Improved, does that mean that the hammerform tech you made for me is gone?  :cry:

I sure hope its not cus i need that thing pretty soon for my cowl vent!
This friend of mine gave me all his mechanisms to have a Working cowl vent. Now all i need is the actual "lid" for it. lol

I was wanting to go back and re read and look over your Hammer Form tech so i could do it. But i got all confused when i realised this place has changed.

Thanks,
Nick

The OLD RRT is still working! http://www.roddingroundtable.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=4678&forum=DCForumID1 but seems to be limited on the "SEARCH"! Might be worth a try. I have looked for several Articals myself with no luck.
Denny

jakesbackyard

I'm new to the forum since the remake and would love to see that tech article also if possible.

That rear roll pan looks great.

We just finished making two of the bench top english wheels from the tech article. Works great and lets our students get the feel of it. Our machine tool and welding students did the major part of the build and now our auto body students are using them to see how it works. Good experience for all.

Great information.

Thanks,
Jake

Nick32Vic

Thanks Frank.

Hey, rooster, thanks for the link but when i go it says i have to log in and when i do it denys me.

Nick

Fat Cat

Here's how Nick. I made a form out of hardwood plywood. If it was for real, I would have curved the top to match the curve of the cowl side to side. You can also use HD fiberboard. The form has to be the thickness of the metal smaller than the finished part.

I just finished one end, the left end in this case.

Here's what the end looks like.

Make a second piece smaller than the first by 1/4" all round to hold the metal to the form.

This is what they should look like stacked together.

Cut a piece of metal 1/4" larger than the form all round. In this case 18 ga. was used. Cut the corners back at 45 degrees, this prevents wrinkling.

Stack the form, the metal, and the holder, aligning the edges so they hang out evenly.          

It should look like this.

Clamp this mess together, with as many clamps as you need. hint, you can't have too many.

Start hammering the exposed edge over the form, a little bit at a time, moving all around the part. Try to keep the bend even all the way round to avoid stretching the metal.

Continue hammering a little at a time.

Be careful in the corners, it trys to wrinkle there. Move back and forth.

Keep it going, moving the clamps to do it evenly.

We're getting there.

Almost there.

Here you can see the reason for cutting the corners back, there is more material than needed here, so it is harder to bend it without wrinkles. Just go slow, and move around a lot.

You can use a caulk to adjust the bend to make it even all the way around. This one is steel, but aluminum may work better in some cases.

And there is the finished product. Grind the edges even and you are ready to go. You can make the surround the same way, by making a form for that too.

Now go out there and beat something!!!

jakesbackyard

Great Stuff!!  Thank you.
Jake

Nick32Vic

AWESOME! Thanks Fat Cat! :D

Nick