So whats cheaper?

Started by Dave, December 09, 2006, 04:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

Twenty years ago, I went to Jiffy Lube because it was just easier and more convenient than doing it myself.

On one visit, I watched a "tech"  :roll: strip the threads in a customer's oil pan, and use one of those rubber expansion drain plugs to heal the wound.  ....Of course, the customer was not told anything.

On another visit, a customer was talked into a tranny service. ...The "tech" proceded to break a tube or fitting on the valve body.   ......He explained to the customer that when he removed the pan, that a piece broke, and that they would order the part and install it for free.  BUT, in the meantime, he cut a section of a Bic ballpoint pen and installed that so the customer could drive the car until they could install the correct part.

On another visit, I was told they greased all the fittings.  ....I asked how many fittings they greased.  ....They asked the under-car "tech" who answered that he greased 8 fittings.  .....I found that very interesting since all the joints were sealed (no fittings!), and I let them know.  

I would always go into the bay to watch that the work was actually being done, and to witness a "goof" if it happened.  ....If they wouldn't allow me in the bay "for insurance reasons,"  I would stand outside the bay and watch anyway.   .....Maybe I was lucky, or maybe they were more careful because I was watching, but I never had a problem.

However, I went back to doing my own oil changes, not just to save money, but to control the quality of the work!  .....The turn-over rate of their "techs" (???) was just too high, and I knew my luck would soon run out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Carnut

Yep, I've always done my own because of 'quality of service' reasons, price never has been much of a concern.

Course once the 'quality of service' starts to decline, I might start looking for a service place to do it.