Machinable aluminum epoxy?

Started by C9, April 21, 2004, 10:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Probably wishful thinking, but I knocked out a somewhat complex round aluminum piece and cut a 1/4" wide by 1/4" deep internal groove in it.

Due to a small  :? miscalculation on my part I need the groove moved outward about .060 - .090 or so.
It's obvious I can't just knock out a ring and insert it cuz it's an internal groove so a couple of ideas are running around in my alleged mind.

Best way, machine a ledge from the outside in, machine a ring for a press fit, press it in, trim to size, cut the new groove.
Machining large diameter rings that are small in cross-section (1/4" square) bring their own problems to the mix so I'm not too wild about that either.

EZ way out if it was possible, fill the groove with a machinable epoxy and re-machine the groove.
My fear is the snap ring and other piece will eat the epoxied area up in no time and create a problem.

The very best way is to machine a whole new piece, but that entails a 40 miles one-way trip to the aluminum store and 2-3 hours of machine work.

Impaled on the horns of a dilemma I am.... :roll:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Fat Cat

Enjenjo used to have some stuff called molecular metal. I don't know if it is still available or not but it is some tough stuff.

purplepickup

We use Devcon when we need to add features to an existing part.  Here's their website if you want to check their products out http://www.devcon.com/maintenance.cfm .  It machines real well and takes a fair amount of abuse.  

If I read your dilemma right, the groove you cut is too deep by .060-.090".  I don't know what kind of loads your retaining ring will see but I'd guess it's mostly axial and the putty could work.  The environment it will be used in and what happens if it fails should be considered too.  If you're thinking of using an epoxy filler Devcon is one of the best.  I'm sure they have a tech line and can answer questions.
George

flt-blk

As much of a pain as it will be, we know what you will do.

Looks like a roadtrip in the roadster to the metal mart.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

C9

Quote from: "purplepickup"We use Devcon when we need to add features to an existing part.  Here's their website if you want to check their products out http://www.devcon.com/maintenance.cfm .  It machines real well and takes a fair amount of abuse.  

If I read your dilemma right, the groove you cut is too deep by .060-.090".  I don't know what kind of loads your retaining ring will see but I'd guess it's mostly axial and the putty could work.  The environment it will be used in and what happens if it fails should be considered too.  If you're thinking of using an epoxy filler Devcon is one of the best.  I'm sure they have a tech line and can answer questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The .060 - .090 off is a miss to the side.
I went in deeper than required and cut a groove that's the right depth, but wrong place.

I think I may be able to find some Devcon locally, gonna give it a try anyway.
Otherwise, gotta spin the roadster up to Fresno which is about 40 miles away.
The metal place up there has some good prices in their remnants pile - $2.00 a pound and I've been able to find most stuff I need.

Sorry about the double post - I posted last night and it never showed up.
Posted again and that didn't show up so I figured RRT was off-line for mtce.

Thanks to all for the info.
C9

purplepickup

Quote from: "C9"

Can you machine the groove where it's supposed to be then use another retaining ring to "shim" it over?

By the way, now I see that you got similar advise on the HAMB.  I usually check RRT first thing in the morning and HAMB later.  I didn't know Unkl Ian had already suggested Devcon.
George

C9

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "C9"

Can you machine the groove where it's supposed to be then use another retaining ring to "shim" it over?

By the way, now I see that you got similar advise on the HAMB.  I usually check RRT first thing in the morning and HAMB later.  I didn't know Unkl Ian had already suggested Devcon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not enough room left to machine another groove.
Problem is, the groove has to go very close to the outside edge.
Not to mention it needs to be shallower.

Granted, sounds like total idiocy on my part, but the the piece that fits the groove looked like it would work in the place where the groove was initially machined.
Now that the groove is where it is, I find the keeper pieces are not working out as well as they should so the groove needs to come out and be shallower as well.
All part of the prototype biz I guess.... :oops:

I try not to ask the same question on both the RRT and HAMB, but when it looked like a failed post, I posted to the HAMB.

Headed for the Devcon store - I hope - this morning.

Thanks.
C9