old Firebirds

Started by alchevy, December 05, 2006, 09:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

1970-1974 Pontiac Firebirds, where are they? I go to car shows and see ones from the late 60s and late 70s early 80s and I see Camaros from the early 70s, but not too many Firebirds. I have been thinking about famous Firebirds on TV and movies and here's what I came up with so far:

Rockford Files one was in the later 70s

Smokey & the Bandit was too

The one on CHiPs that Ponch rescued from being burned was kinda around the years I am talking about.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

purplepickup

'82 or '83 I think there was KITT the smart Firebird that Michael Knight beat the bad guys with in the TV show Knight Rider.
George

alchevy

Almost forgot about that one. That one was too smart, he would talk back. I remember the first episopde where they let him drive the car before he knew KITT.

1973 I think was my favorite year Firebird. AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

bombcan

Bandit's Trans Am was a 77 in the first movie (had one just like it in 77), and in the second Smokey and the Bandit movie, it was I believe a 79.

I was thinking about it and you don't see many of the 70ish to 76's at car shows around here either.  Probably the  73 was my favorite.

bombcan

I think the Rockford was around a 74 or 75.  One of the companies that makes diecast cars was going to introduce the Rockford edition but the network wouldn't license the car,  I think they have that model but not the rockford (brown?) color

dragrcr50

Quote from: "40chevy"1970-1974 Pontiac Firebirds, where are they? I go to car shows and see ones from the late 60s and late 70s early 80s and I see Camaros from the early 70s, but not too many Firebirds. I have been thinking about famous Firebirds on TV and movies and here's what I came up with so far:

Rockford Files one was in the later 70s

Smokey & the Bandit was too

The one on CHiPs that Ponch rescued from being burned was kinda around the years I am talking about.
AL
the street rodders used all of the front subframes off of them, none left running!!!!!!!!
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

GPster

Maybe you guys have answered your question. Maybe Hollywood is tough enough on these cars to cause them to go into hiding. Kind of like what happened to Dodge Chargers. Don't speak too loudly or they'll start appearing on television again in auctions as the clone of a clone of a clone of a television star. Maybe they'll be the next $3000,000.00 car. I'm still talking Vance but this is the best I can come up with. GPster

You don't see very many Firebirds at all in my area.....Lots of Camaros.I'm still driving my old 68 that I've had since High school.....Had a very nice 71 TransAm until a few years ago,455 HO car that was very fast.I'm not sure how many of the 70-72 Firebirds were produced but I know the Trans Ams were very,very low production those years.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

alchevy

There were some strikes at the plant that made the production numbers go down is what I have been able to find out through research. I found a few listed on www.cars-on-line.com but the nice ones, no one can afford.

I was able to find a large diecast and a small diecast of a 1970 model. Don't remember the scale of them, but I bought them at Hobby Lobby.
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

alchevy

It looks like this was the most used color for them in the early 70s.

www.astreetrodder.com

I believe....There were only two color options for the 70 thru 72 Trans Ams.....The White w/Blue stripes or The Blue w/White stripes.I think interior color options were limited to White,Black and Blue.Mine was the color combo in your second photo w/Blue interior.My T/A was a fun car but a bit too radical for the street.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"