A day at the races with mostly junk

Started by WZ JUNK, April 18, 2004, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I spent my Friday night and Saturday at the drag strip.  The local strip (MOKAN) has an annual event for Mopars (Mopars at Mokan)   I recently sold my motorcycle and bought a 1963 Dodge Dart drag car and this was its first real test.  By the way my neighbors probably are wishing that I had kept the motorcycle.  It is a slant 6 race car (the leaning tower of power, humming half dozen...).   I made 18 passes in the car.   The announcer accused me of thinking I was on an oval track.  It runs okay but I have a long ways to go and my skills on the Christmas tree leave a lot to be desired.   Three of the cars in the elimination have run the quarter in the 10's although for this race I believe no one ran faster than low 11's.  Still low 11's for a 225 cubic six is not bad.   In the final elimination I drew a former Pro Stock car that was second in points last year in the nation.   You can take a guess as to how that run went.  I actually cut a better light but I should have dialed in closer.  I am new to bracket racing and so I played it very conservative, as I did not want to break out.  I did have a better reaction time than my competitor but he beat me.   It was a great day, I made a lot of friends and I learned a lot about these engines.  Next winter I plan to build a fuel injected turbo charged engine for this car.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Sean

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"low 11's for a 225 cubic six is not bad.

:shock: When I first heard about this little 6 cyl Dart, I thought you were just playing around. That little 6 banger would smoke me by 2 or 3 seconds.

And here I was thinking that the only car I might be able to keep up with at the HAMB drags would be something running a 6cyl.... :roll:  :wink: