New Project

Started by enjenjo, November 25, 2006, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I'm just starting on a new project, a 38 Plymouth pickupI built as a high boy for a guy about 15 years ago. He has bought a set of fenders he wants me to put on it. Unfortunately, the wheelbase has been changed, and the axles relocated further forward. Also he has a 33 grille shell rather than a 38. As you might guess, there will be some fabrication here. I need some flat fiberglass panels to lengthen the running boards, anyone have a source? I also need a way to mount the running boards that doesn't show, any ideas? TIA
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm just starting on a new project, a 38 Plymouth pickupI built as a high boy for a guy about 15 years ago. He has bought a set of fenders he wants me to put on it. Unfortunately, the wheelbase has been changed, and the axles relocated further forward. Also he has a 33 grille shell rather than a 38. As you might guess, there will be some fabrication here. I need some flat fiberglass panels to lengthen the running boards, anyone have a source? I also need a way to mount the running boards that doesn't show, any ideas? TIA

Hooley got a large sheet of fiberglass for me when I built a lot of stuff for the Studebaker.  I think it was a repair panel that is sold to repair over the road trailer sides.  It was about 3/16 inch thick.  I have bought thinner panels from the larger home supply companies.  I think they are used in shower stalls and commercial kitchens.  This stuff is less than a 1/16 inch thick.  

I have made my own panels by laying up layers of matt, cloth and resin on a sheet of glass and then removing it from the glass after it sets up.  If you wax the sheet of glass first it will make it a little easier.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm just starting on a new project, a 38 Plymouth pickupI built as a high boy for a guy about 15 years ago. He has bought a set of fenders he wants me to put on it. Unfortunately, the wheelbase has been changed, and the axles relocated further forward. Also he has a 33 grille shell rather than a 38. As you might guess, there will be some fabrication here. I need some flat fiberglass panels to lengthen the running boards, anyone have a source? I also need a way to mount the running boards that doesn't show, any ideas? TIA

try mcmaster carr for the fiberglass frank. If that doesnt work how bout laying em up yourself? Ive done some of that and its kinda fun :!:  Id have to see the truck and the boards to see how to mount them :?:  You got a camera dont ya :?:
Dave

Hooley

Frank, What size do you need , I have a little left over. It came from a motor home conversion plant. They used the big panels for walls floors and other stuff. If your not needing a very big piece I might have it.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

enjenjo

I found some today, out in the barn. I dawned on me that I had some pieces left over from a refigeration project some years ago. I also found a roll of glass mat. Now I just have to get some resin.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

After having a tour of enjenjo's barn I can understand how he might forget what he has.  It's an old farm barn that's chuck full of all sorts of stuff. :mrgreen:
George